Islands around Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bubble Baby,

How lucky you are to have 6 months to tour in Oz! I'm sure it was a fantastic trip!

What kinds of fish did you see in Yongala Wreck? I saw on the web that sometimes
the trips to Yongala are cancelled because of the bad conditions. Is Nov a good
time to visit there?

I would so want to go to WA but there is just not enough time. Maybe in the future ...

j

I noticed aussie_shark_bait has given you loads of helpful advice but with regards to accomodations keep in mind there are backpackers accomodations by the dozens in Cairns. The rates are @$15/night AUD and sometimes includes breakfast. Australia has some of the cleanest and best run backpackers accomodations. It is a great way to meet other travelers and get the scoop on goings-ons in the area. Once you have figured out your itinerary try to book in advance. There are loads of websites you can consult for a listing of these types of accomodations or better yet pick up a copy of the Lonely Planet.

jnylaw:
Hi there,

Going to Australia around the end of Nov. Have about 2-3 days available for diving ...
not enough for the Coral Sea liveabroad. Have been thinking about some islands
around Cairns, like Lizard Island, Heron Island, Green Island... We will be flying from
Brisbane, so we are pretty flexible how south we can go. Any suggestions? The main
thing that we want to see are big fish and animals like sharks. Not so keen on reef nor
turtles. Any suggestions on where to go? How about Yongala Wreck? Can we do it
in 2-3days? Is Townville where we should be based?

Thanks!!

That's ok, save WA for the coral spawning in March or the whale shark season to follow.....so special.
I was at the Yongala in April and the current can be disagreeable. It was quite choppy that day with 6ft swells. We almost didn't go out. I am not certain what time of the year conditions are best but perhaps the guys at Tropical Dive can answer that question. Now lets see what my dive log says.......travally, green turtle munching on some fungi, sea snakes, black tip fusillier, mantas, harlequin tusk fish, groper, snapper, red throated emporer, moses perches, coral trout, anenomes, angel fish, banner fish, black tip sharks, lion fish........etc. I remember the boiler room was very cool. There were plenty of port holes to poke your nose in and a stairway that when lit had a few surprises.
Ahhhh, take me back ;-)

jnylaw:
Hi Bubble Baby,

How lucky you are to have 6 months to tour in Oz! I'm sure it was a fantastic trip!

What kinds of fish did you see in Yongala Wreck? I saw on the web that sometimes
the trips to Yongala are cancelled because of the bad conditions. Is Nov a good
time to visit there?

I would so want to go to WA but there is just not enough time. Maybe in the future ...

j

I have an option to fly to Townsville instead of Cairns. But sounds like the bad condition at Yongala could happen anytime, not a seasonal thing.

Did anyone go on the 3day/3night liveabroad with Pro-Dive to Yongala Wreck and Reef?
http://www.prodive.com.au/default.asp?pageid=69

They visit Davies reef and Wheeler Cay on the first two days. How are these two locations? Do they worth the visit? Or should I just to the day trip to Yongala?

Townsville doesn't seem like an attractive town. Anything intesting around that
area? Rainforest or nice beaches?

j

If you do go to Cairns, you must take the "wait-a-while" tour. First off you'll be into the rainforest in the afternoon to see large trees and then off to a volcanic lake for light lunch walking out of there to observe bird and reptiles, amphibians in the rainforest. Then on to see the duck-billed platypus. Then out for dinner, after dark back into the rainforest to see the tree kangaroos and possums as well as a number of other marsupials. We saw bioluminescent fungus, leaftailed lizards, frogs, bandicoots, bushy tailed possum, copper back possum, tree kangaroos and some insect sightings as well. On the way back we also stopped to see tall termite mounds.
The beaches north of Cairns are reachable by public transport from town. Palm cove was a very quiet quaint beach area. Beaches in Port Douglas were also very nice.
Are Davies and Wheeler reefs considered outer reefs, if not then they may not be the best, but then again better than nothing.

Caymaniac,

The rainforest part sounds interesting! You are talking about the Daintree Rainforest, right? or the Kuranda?

j

Going through Scubaboard, seems like Wolf Rock and Mantaray Bommie Stradbroke Island are two interesting places too. Since I am flying up from Brisbane, may be I
could just stay there and dive these two sites. Anyone has any recommendations on
them?

jnylaw:
Caymaniac,

The rainforest part sounds interesting! You are talking about the Daintree Rainforest, right? or the Kuranda?

j

We were staying in Cairns at the Tradewinds, the tour picked us up from there and took us off into the Tablelands. The rainforest is immense around Cairns area, I thought that Aus. was more dessert - which the center is - but the area of rainforest streches all the way up the northeast coast. We also visited the Daintree in Port Douglas. Kurunda is interesting as well, we took the skyrail tour that takes you above the rainforest with hiking stops on the way down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom