Island time? Why do we accept this excuse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, but one of the things that modernity has produced is global standards.

McDonalds

In my youth I liked the cultural differences inside the states, never mind the world outside, and over time have watched these differences disappear. I guess it's a matter of whether one labels differences good and bad, instead of having another experience.

The little New England village I grew up in had an inn with a great resturant. On the menus below their name, and a picture of the inn, was the following phrase:
If you're in a hurry, you're in the wrong place.

I guess we were on island time and didn't know it.

Bob

Apparently the Dutch do not look at customer service as other cultures do. It has nothing to do with "island time". It is part of a culture of very direct, blunt people. This doesn't mean they are unfriendly, they simply interact with others in a very direct manner. No beating around the bush, very little nuance.
Today I learned that the Dutch have their own service culture: direct & blunt.
It's tempting to reply to this statement in that cultural way, but I won't.

We accept it because it is their home, not ours. Remember, where ever you are, you are guests. Unless, of course, you showed up on average 300 years ago in which case you would be invaders.

Personally, raping and pillaging is soooooo last year.

We travel.... We travel alot. I hear this excuse more in the Caribbean than anywhere else . 15 min before a server even takes your drink order? "It's island time". Another 10 min to bring a beer and soda? " It's island time" (even though there are only 2 other tables occupied) 40 min before your food comes out? "It's island time" . Having to flag down a server to get a refill? " It's island time". We don't expect the server to wait on us hand and foot but we do expect you to feel we are more important than talking among yourselves or your cell phone. Yes many cultures spend more time on a meal than Americans (Italy but service was still prompt and attentive). Why is this excuse acceptable? Sure someone will say it's you Americans or that's just the way.it.Is or don't like it go somewhere else or why complain it's "island time"? We love Bonaire, we will go back but let's put an end to accepting island time as an excuse for crappy service. Let the flames begin. Bill ( tired of " island time")

Bet you were staying at Delfins :) I go everywhere in Bonaire with a little cooler of 6 cans and happily drink away whilst waiting for servers to take orders and beers etc to arrive...

The only issue I had with your original post was stating it was not a cultural thing. Oh and the services I provide is dive training and gear sales.

Is it right? No it is not but it is cultural.

I guess it comes down to the use of the word "cultural". I think that the Island time defenders are using it in a positive way - that is, it's these people's home, it's up to them how they want to work or run their businesses, there is no right or wrong, and if a visitor has a problem with it, it's culturally insensitive to complain, and they should just go elsewhere or stay home.

On the other hand (and sorry about getting a bit political), there is a huge list of horrific human rights abuses that are excused as "cultural differences". And that very same defense is used to justify terrible things around the world.

So I don't buy that just because something can be labeled "culture" it gets a pass, no questions asked. If you run a restaurant where the customers don't feel like they are getting good service, that's an opportunity for someone else (of the same culture) to do a better job and take your business.

I guess it comes down to the use of the word "cultural". I think that the Island time defenders are using it in a positive way - that is, it's these people's home, it's up to them how they want to work or run their businesses, there is no right or wrong, and if a visitor has a problem with it, it's culturally insensitive to complain, and they should just go elsewhere or stay home.

On the other hand (and sorry about getting a bit political), there is a huge list of horrific human rights abuses that are excused as "cultural differences". And that very same defense is used to justify terrible things around the world.

So I don't buy that just because something can be labeled "culture" it gets a pass, no questions asked. If you run a restaurant where the customers don't feel like they are getting good service, that's an opportunity for someone else (of the same culture) to do a better job and take your business.

Well that's true. What place do you recommend that we could find that?

Whaddya say you and I open up a Poutine place in Bonaire? I love that stuff! :D

I'm not fond of it. I'm from the other side of Canada. But we could probably figure something out. :)

But there are different cultural expectations of service. I find some US restaurants intrusive when they keep asking you if everything is alright. If it wasn't, I'd complain, otherwise leave me alone.

Also the always bringing water thing is very American. Why would I want that when they could be far more usefully getting me a beer?

Back
Top Bottom