Island time? Why do we accept this excuse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We travel.... We travel alot. I hear this excuse more in the Caribbean than anywhere else . 15 min before a server even takes your drink order? "It's island time". Another 10 min to bring a beer and soda? " It's island time" (even though there are only 2 other tables occupied) 40 min before your food comes out? "It's island time" . Having to flag down a server to get a refill? " It's island time". We don't expect the server to wait on us hand and foot but we do expect you to feel we are more important than talking among yourselves or your cell phone. Yes many cultures spend more time on a meal than Americans (Italy but service was still prompt and attentive). Why is this excuse acceptable? Sure someone will say it's you Americans or that's just the way.it.Is or don't like it go somewhere else or why complain it's "island time"? We love Bonaire, we will go back but let's put an end to accepting island time as an excuse for crappy service. Let the flames begin. Bill ( tired of " island time")

Gee, talk with your money and head elsewhere if it’s so irritating....it amazes me what people fuss about.

We travel.... We travel alot. I hear this excuse more in the Caribbean than anywhere else . 15 min before a server even takes your drink order? "It's island time". Another 10 min to bring a beer and soda? " It's island time" (even though there are only 2 other tables occupied) 40 min before your food comes out? "It's island time" . Having to flag down a server to get a refill? " It's island time". We don't expect the server to wait on us hand and foot but we do expect you to feel we are more important than talking among yourselves or your cell phone. Yes many cultures spend more time on a meal than Americans (Italy but service was still prompt and attentive). Why is this excuse acceptable? Sure someone will say it's you Americans or that's just the way.it.Is or don't like it go somewhere else or why complain it's "island time"? We love Bonaire, we will go back but let's put an end to accepting island time as an excuse for crappy service. Let the flames begin. Bill ( tired of " island time")

I am not trying to insult you, but you are expecting US level service in another country. Their country, their culture. If you don’t like it, don’t travel outside the US.

I’ve not been to Bonaire, so I won’t comment on the service there. However, my wife and family have all been impressed with the service and punctuality in Cozumel. The dive boat picks me up at the condo pier within a couple of minutes of 8:00 am, every morning. I’ve never known them to be late. I’m always back at the dock by 1:00 or sooner.

Every server (waiter) we’ve ever had has been professional, knowledgeable, and their service is very well timed. Additionally, you can stay at the table as long as you like. I believe they must feel it is rude to ask you if you are ready for the check because we’ve always had to ask. And once asked, the check will arrive in minutes.

So maybe it’s just that particular island that lives on “island time”....

Now my daughter lived in Africa for 6 months and she said there was definitely a difference between real time and Africa time.

I am not trying to insult you, but you are expecting US level service in another country. Their country, their culture. If you don’t like it, don’t travel outside the US.

Nah, that's the soft bigotry of low expectations. It's not a cultural thing...

I have been to little shacks on the beach in developing countries where the owner is happy to greet you and bring you something to drink when you are thirsty, without waiting 15 minutes. I mean, anyone can run their business like they want, but it's not unreasonable to get bad press if you aren't giving good service. Calling it "Island Time" is just an excuse.

I had an interesting experience (I was leading a group) at Buddy Dive a few weeks ago. The Dutch operations manager asked me if I had any ideas about how to make the lunch service go faster at their pool bar, "Blennies." I suggested the usual "Take the orders as soon as we sit down" and he said yes, they are working to do that. Then I said, and bring the check (for us to sign to our rooms) when the food is delivered. He was aghast! "But that's rude!" And -- this is where different cultures really come in -- he explained that sometimes people add to their order -- like maybe dessert -- and this would mean more work for the servers, having to deal with two checks and thus twice the work. I tried to ask how often this happened, and suggest it was not very often, but he was not very interested.

But I think I'm going to keep trying on this one....at the very least the servers could ask when they take the order, "Do you want your check with the food?"

Now my daughter lived in Africa for 6 months and she said there was definitely a difference between real time and Africa time.

“Africa”. The entire continent? Apparently every country there has the same lazy culture. What an ignorant statement. What a silly “americentric” view of the world.

DFBC8BFB-89AA-43D0-AACD-2EFA22EC3CB4.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom