Trip Report Island House (rental) & AquaSafari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mexico in general is a noisy country. People honk their horns often (not in anger). Lots of scooters. Dogs bark all the time. Roosters crow. Service trucks announce their coming through loudspeakers as they drive through the streets. People play their music late. It just seems to be part of the culture.

A lot of good feedback from fellow Scubaboarders! As the saying goes 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it'; which is true with my stays at Residencias Reef. I love everything about the place, with my only gripe being the distance from town. Considering my history of getting a good night's sleep while staying there, the drive into town is a small price to pay. Thanks for all this insights.

My obvious error: we live in Missouri

Yes, mistake #1 :D

Each morning we walked about 11 minutes to Cozumel Palace

By 1 or 2 the sun is blazing, and because I have had skin cancers I have to cover up as much as possible, so I was wearing a hat, mask (covid), long sleeved shirt (very light, but still hot), and was a wee bit cooked. I don’t think we’ll rent a place so far from our dive op again in this kind of heat.

walked to AS with gear??? :eek::eek::eek:

I feel your pain, I work waterski tournaments as an official, I am in long sleeved performance hoodies the whole time.

I feel your pain, I work waterski tournaments as an official, I am in long sleeved performance hoodies the whole time.
The trick is to dive with an op that keeps your gear and wetsuit. And if you really want to look like a local, carry a parasol! I do. A cab would have been 20 or 30 pesos.

@MMM is it still Xavier selling the Churros? I tried to find him last week to no avail. My son and I loved his daily stops by our rental house just around the corner when we lived on the island.

Ran into Javier last week at Tekila. He was selling churros. Showed me his eyed.

Ouch - that sounds really miserable! We had a locker at AS, so we only had to lug camera there, and wet rash guards home again. Very fortunate to have a locker available.

Sorry to hear the OP did not enjoy La Mission. We go there every time and enjoy it. Though the prices are a bit more than some places, they do offer an excellent diver discount. When we were there 2 weeks ago, they gave a 30% discount on everything but alcohol -- so that made a big difference.

It's been years since we went to Casa Mission, but when we did I believe the menus were almost identical. I think Casa Mission may have been a tiny bit more expensive. Yes, La Mission definitely has the Coconut Shrimp in their specialty section of the menu (https://www.facebook.com/lamissioncozumel/photos/p.10155360231616064/10155360231616064) -- my daughter got it there 2 weeks ago.

For those who are quite cheap (like me) I believe lunch at La Mission after diving is a good value -- prices are pretty low, and they give the diver discount then also (you do need to show a C-card, usually for each person). We like the fish burrito and the shrimp burrito. I'm a fan of their non-alcoholic naranjadas also for a refreshing drink on a hot day.

Sure wish I'd known about the diver discount - would have made the price more reasonable. I'm still confused that the price in pesos was more than the equivalent in US dollars - shaking my head. As you guys are all saying such great things about them I will definitely give it a second chance - and pay more attention to what I'm ordering - and bring our cert cards. Now I'm craving coconut shrimp. Thanks for that. :cool:

Sure wish I'd known about the diver discount - would have made the price more reasonable. I'm still confused that the price in pesos was more than the equivalent in US dollars - shaking my head. As you guys are all saying such great things about them I will definitely give it a second chance - and pay more attention to what I'm ordering - and bring our cert cards. Now I'm craving coconut shrimp. Thanks for that. :cool:
Did you get to Kooben Laab? One of my very favourite restaurants on the island and very reasonably priced.

Did you get to Kooben Laab? One of my very favourite restaurants on the island and very reasonably priced.

Haven't heard of it - but I'll add it to the list along with other ideas. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom