Island Hopping and Need Diving Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MakingBubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First, let me apologize for the length of this post but it is necessary so you understand my situation. Hopefully your replies will help others in similar situations. I am bringing my family to the Hawaiian Islands the latter half of November thru early December. We are going to be island hopping between the following islands:
5 days - Oahu (Waikiki)
2.5 days - Kauai (Poipu)
3 days - Hawaii (Kona)
3 days - Maui (Between Kaanapali Beach and Kapalua Bay)

I've done a lot of research on various websites such as ShoreDiving.com and most of the dive shop's websites, and other sites I found on Google. Unfortunately, I'm kind of like a kid in a candy store with too many options. Since I've only dove a single boat dive in Oahu and snorkelled Hanauma Bay, I'd like to get some guidance from others who dive these islands often. First, I would like to know which islands I should do shore dives and which islands I should go for the boat. Second, I'd like to know which shore dive locations are the best based on my criteria below and considering the time of year. Finally, are there any boat dive locations that stand out above the others.

Experience Levels:
My wife and daughter are both OW certified divers, though I would consider them beginners (about 10 dives). Both are excellent swimmers, have pretty good bouyancy control, and are comfortable diving. I have significantly more diving experience and would consider myself an intermediate diver with very good diving skills and buoyancy control based on feedback from other experienced divers and instructors (though I am definitely humbled in the presence of such experienced divers on this board.) Nonetheless, I would like to stick to dive sites that are about 40FSW or less.

Budget:
Weather permitting, we would like to dive at least 2 tanks on each Island. We have some money to spend on diving (somewhere between $600-800), but this is not enough for all of us to do boat dives on each island (assuming 2-tank dives are at least $100/person). We want to be thrifty with our money and choose our boat dives wisely to get the best overall diving experience. Specifically, we want to do boat dives under the following circumstances:
1. It is a very unique dive opportunity such as:
- Manta Night Dive
- Sites that consistently have an amazing array of fish, eels, turtles and frequently have other large creatures like whales, sharks, dolphins, seals, etc.
2. If there are no good places with easy access to shore dive on the island (I'll explain this later).

Physical Limitations:
My wife has a bad back and my daughter would struggle to carry a full tank very far. This usually means that I carry the tanks and heavier gear for them to the dive site and they put it on in the water. Therefore I am looking for shore dives with an easy entry and a place to drop off the gear near the entry point before I go park the car. Carrying 6 tanks plus the rest of my gear over 50 yards is not my idea of fun (though I might consider it if the dive is spectacular and worth it).

With all of that said, here are my initial thoughts based on my research. Please comment and let me know if I am warm or way off base. Also let me know if you have other recommendations.
1. Oahu
- Considering snorkeling at Hanauma Bay instead of Scuba. I really enjoyed the sealife here on my last trip to Oahu. Scuba seems to a bit difficult with the long walk with gear/tanks. Also not sure about depth beyond reef or strong currents. Guided shore dive at Hanauma Bay seemed very expensive. Assuming I could carry the gear to the tram, is this a good site for beginners to attempt beyond the reef?
- Thinking about shore dive at Magic Island or a boat dive. Staying away from North, East, and West sides of Island due to surf. Not sure if I should use boat dive on this island or Maui.
2. Kauai
- Considering only shore diving at Koloa Landing.
3. Kona
- Definitely looking to do a boat dive here (Sunset and Night Manta Dive) unless I hear recommendations from many of you otherwise.
- Also considering shore dives at Place of Refuge.
4. Maui
- I get the impression that Maui may have better overall shore diving and boat reef diving for beginners than the other islands. Is this true?
- Considering shore dives at Honolua Bay, Kapalua Bay, or Makuleia. Is surf too high during December?
- Considering shore dives at Ulua Beach, Wailea Beach, Makena Landing, or Ahihi Cove.
- I've heard both good and bad about the Molokini boat dives. Are there better boat dives on Maui that are suitable for beginners? Should I used the boat dive on Oahu and opt for shore diving on Maui?

:confused: Mahalo!

A quick summary for you and please fell free to PM me with any further questions.
Big Isle..Shore diving meca but dont miss the boat only manta dive and look real hard at the blackwater dives, it may not be for everyone but it is awsome! Two step, aka place of refuge is my single favorite shore dive. With my own boat there, I still shore dive two step the most. Don't over look Puako either.
Maui, some decent shore dives with little walk and a boat trip to the crater is in line for everyone in your group, funds permiting.
Oahu...Boat only that time of year and most of it is deep, 100 ish plus but there are some good wrecks. Keep in mind, deep is easy, shallow is hard. Might be a good time to progress.
Thats it. Only lived on these three so far.
Again. feel free to PM with specifics.
Aloha

Thanks for good info Wildcard. You rock! Weather-permitting I am definitely going to Two Step and the Manta Dive. I'll also check into some of the other dives you mentioned. Does anyone else have any suggestions or opinions? All help is much appreciated.

Wassup Dude! Sounds like a killer vacation you are planning!

I can't speak for all the islands, but...If you do Kauai, you have to do Ni'Ihau (if they are still running charters this time of year). If so, it will cost you...but it is the best spot on the island.

If you can't swing that, there are tons of cool spots: Hale O Hanu (house of turtles), Sheraton Caverns, Yellow Brick Road. All of which are near Poipu.

I dove with Bubbles Below, and think they are the bomb. However, I've heard good things about most of the dive ops on Kauai.

Mahalo!

BIGG_BUDD:
...If you do Kauai, you have to do Ni'Ihau...it is the best spot on the island.

If you can't swing that, there are tons of cool spots: Hale O Hanu (house of turtles), Sheraton Caverns, Yellow Brick Road. All of which are near Poipu.

Hey BUDD, thanks for the input on Kauai! I've heard that Ni'ihau is awesome for an experienced diver. I would love to get there! I'm not sure if there are any boats going to Ni'ihau in late Nov. due to the water conditions (heavy currents, etc.) If there are, I might try to go. What is the water and entry typically like at the other places you mentioned on Kauai (Hale O Hanu, Sheraton Caverns, Yellow Brick Road) that time of year? Are they typically diveable by beginners (i.e. my wife and daughter)? I've heard that Koloa Landing is supposed to be a good place for beginners. Have you ever dove Koloa Landing? If so, how does it compare to the other places?

It's up to you, but 13.5 days of island hopping will cut into your diving time. up to 4 days of no diving if you follow the 24 hour rule before flying. No matter what you do though, you can't go wrong in Hawaii. It's unreal.

Thanks for this consideration. While I am planning on doing a significant amount of scuba diving while I'm on the islands, my family wants to do some other land-based activities as well so I've planned to do these activities on the day before we fly. I know... it's hard for me to comprehend why anyone would want to do something else when they could be diving. ;-)

Oahu----Yo257 or Sea Tiger if you guys are okay going deep. Really great dives, not to be missed. Corsair another one that would be memorable. All these I would advise only if current is light because of the depth.

Bad backs and shore diving.....not an easy task on Oahu.

Hanauma Bay, I would skip. Poor viz usually and busloads of tourists walking on the coral.

Kona--manta dive is a world class dive and everyone loves it. Check to see if they are showing up before you book it. Personally, I would book as you go.

At least here, we have enough dive boats and they are hardly ever full.

Nobody going to Ni'ihau that late that I am aware of.....That Na'Pali hike or coastal tour looks great and is on my wish list.

The back side of Molokini might reveal some whales...or at the very least some good song.

I'm game for doing some shore diving with you while you're on Maui -- PM me for contact info.

Typically the dive site options are driven by the weather. Some are good even when there's a South swell, others, not.

I *really* like Ulua beach. A nice site for beginners, easy entry, but something new to see on every dive. Just about guaranteed turtles in the AM. Not to mention the fact that it is often diveable when other South Maui sites are not...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom