Island Hopping and Need Diving Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Oahu----Yo257 or Sea Tiger if you guys are okay going deep. Really great dives, not to be missed. Corsair another one that would be memorable. All these I would advise only if current is light because of the depth.

Bad backs and shore diving.....not an easy task on Oahu.

Hanauma Bay, I would skip. Poor viz usually and busloads of tourists walking on the coral.

I am going to do the Wreck Dives one morning myself (too deep for wife and daughter). I really enjoyed Hanauma Bay when I went to in March of this year (there was a lot of rain - caused a mudslide on one of the islands.) I went about 8am and there weren't a lot of people on the beach. This may be because of all of the rain or the jellyfish warnings, I'm not sure. Apparently they had a some jellyfish stinging incidents that morning. I didn't care about the jellyfish because I had a full wetsuit on. As the day continued there were some additional tourists but not too bad. Although I do know what you mean about tourists walking on the coral...(stupid...) Viz was easily 30-50 feet or more although it did decrease some during the 5 hours I was snorkeling. Anyway, do you have any recommendations of other good places for us to snorkel on Oahu in case my experience at Hanauma Bay was an anomoly? If not, maybe I'll try my hand at surfing on Waikiki Beach... That should provide the locals with some comical entertainment! :rofl3:

MakingBubbles:
Hey BUDD, thanks for the input on Kauai! I've heard that Ni'ihau is awesome for an experienced diver. I would love to get there! I'm not sure if there are any boats going to Ni'ihau in late Nov. due to the water conditions (heavy currents, etc.) If there are, I might try to go. What is the water and entry typically like at the other places you mentioned on Kauai (Hale O Hanu, Sheraton Caverns, Yellow Brick Road) that time of year? Are they typically diveable by beginners (i.e. my wife and daughter)? I've heard that Koloa Landing is supposed to be a good place for beginners. Have you ever dove Koloa Landing? If so, how does it compare to the other places?
You are right, Ni'Ihau is for more experienced divers. In fact, I gained a ton of experience simply diving there...

As for the the diving around the island, all very do-able for beginners. And plenty of spots off Poipu. Hale O Hanu is an easy dive, with TONS of turtles. There is a sugar factory right on the coast, and apparently the runoff makes the water very nutrient rich. Lots of algae, so the turtles go crazy. Bet the family would dig that.

Sheraton Caverns has a couple of resident white tips that chill under a ledge, if you wanna see sharks. Max depth off Kauai (that we saw) was 91 fsw, but I'd say most dives were between 50 and 70 fsw. Plenty of beautiful terrain and endemic life. Current could be a little strong, but do-able.

Good luck amigo.

BIGG_BUDD:
You are right, Ni'Ihau is for more experienced divers. In fact, I gained a ton of experience simply diving there...

As for the the diving around the island, all very do-able for beginners. And plenty of spots off Poipu. Hale O Hanu is an easy dive, with TONS of turtles. There is a sugar factory right on the coast, and apparently the runoff makes the water very nutrient rich. Lots of algae, so the turtles go crazy. Bet the family would dig that.

Sheraton Caverns has a couple of resident white tips that chill under a ledge, if you wanna see sharks. Max depth off Kauai (that we saw) was 91 fsw, but I'd say most dives were between 50 and 70 fsw. Plenty of beautiful terrain and endemic life. Current could be a little strong, but do-able.

Good luck amigo.

Hale O Hanu sounds like it would be a lot of fun for the family. Does it is go by another name? I couldn't find it on shorediving.com or any of the maps I have. Can anyone point me to a website that has a map to Hale O Hanu or provide directions? Thanks.

MakingBubbles:
Hale O Hanu sounds like it would be a lot of fun for the family. Does it is go by another name? I couldn't find it on shorediving.com or any of the maps I have. Can anyone point me to a website that has a map to Hale O Hanu or provide directions? Thanks.
You sure it's not "Hale O Honu"? That would make it "Home of Turtle" (loose translation).

KrisB:
You sure it's not "Hale O Honu"? That would make it "Home of Turtle" (loose translation).

I'm not sure. BIGG_BUDD do you have any info on this dive site? Is this spelling correct and where is it located?

KrisB:
Yes KrisB, slight misspelling. Mt bad...

Here is a video and some info on the sight (very little): http://www.bubblesbelowkauai.com/kauaipopup_haleohonu.html

It's only accessible via boat, so I wouldn't expect to see it listed as a shore dive.

yea...that would be a good one for you too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom