Island Beach State Park - North Jetty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RX8Bob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone know what the dive conditions average there? I've been playing with the idea of heading out to try and dive the inlet at IBSP, I have a truck pass for fishing the beach so getting there is the easy part, I just don't feel like dragging everything out there for a poor dive. Anyone know what it's like? I know the north jetty is underwater at high tide, but does anyone know how tall the jetty is? or how hard it is to dive the inlet?

Avg Depth?
Avg Currents?

I've dove Shark River inlet before, is it comparible at all?

Thanks, i've seen that but i've been looking for someone who may have had experience diving that inlet. But i do appreciate the link!

The inside of the north jetty is a demanding dive. The currents are very strong and the main channel for large boats through the inlet runs very close to a considerable length of that jetty, so you really have to hug the rock pile. There are major siltation problems in the center and south part of the inlet, especially at the point it enters Barnegat Bay, so boats coming into and leaving the bay tend to travel very near the north jetty. The Manasquan inlet is easier, and Shark River inlet is a piece of cake in comparison.

During the summer the boat traffic is incredibly heavy, so you really have to stay right in against the rocks. The jetty continuues for a long distance beyond the inlet, much of it completely underwater, and some decent diving can be found on the outside the jetty well beyond the inlet's mouth, especially on the outside part of the north jetty, where a kind of cove is formed in the right angle between the rocks and the beach. A beach entry is possible, though you need a 4 wheel drive to get there. There is a tremendous variety of marine life to be seen everywhere in the inlet, from big striped bass and lobsters to an amazing variety of Caribbean tropicals during late summer.

Water clarity is often a problem, since dredging operation are continuous, and powerful currents keep things in suspension. I dive the inlet, especially the inner parts of the north jetty where it enters the bay. In summer, when the winds are from the north there are days when huge lenses of Gulf Stream water move in, bringing crystal clear water and tropical sea creatures. Pelicans are always present during the warmer months, and the sight of dozens of Butterfly fish on every boulder can make you think you are in the Caribbean.

Recently the state and Feds began letting small groups of divers dive the wonderful south jetty near the lighthouse. There is a Coast Guard station there, and they can provide information. All inlet diving is, of course, limited to the half hour before and the half hour after peak high tide. The currents are utterly impossible other times. I've been diving that inlet for decades, and it helps to know exactly where and when to go. It's not everyone's cup of tea. You have to be VERY careful. There are many fisherman, sometimes hostile, and a rats nest of fishing line and tackle everywhere, so a good knife and shears is important. Night diving at peak high, especially after Labor Day can be wonderful when water conditions are right.

I wouldn't say a drag, but certainly a lot of effort. What the site does have, and which is rare in NJ except for offshore wrecks, is structure. Lots of it. I dive parts of Barnegat Inlet, Shark River and Manasquan, a couple of RR bridges, and a few other inlets and bridges further south (like Corson's) mostly as a fish watcher and occasional collector of marine specimens. I've been doing these inlets for so long I'm used to them, and the rewards are sometimes exceptional. But only sometimes. Most of what you will see in Barnegat Inlet can be seen with much less effort and far fewer problems in Shark River inlet. As you probably know, there is no such river as 'Shark River". It's a tidal basin.

The jetty on the south side of Shark River continues at least 1/2 mile underwater. I found that out when I was a novice diver almost 40 years ago. I followed the rocks along the sand bottom for what seemed like a long time. My depth gauge showed almost 40 feet, much deeper than I expected. It was about 2 am. As usual, I was diving alone. I surfaced and was horrified to see the top of the jetty disappear below me with at least 20 feet of water over it. I surfaced 1/2 mile from the beach, in the open ocean. You can't imagine how I felt as I watched the white breakers crashing on the invisible night beach, far away. I was fortunate to find the submerged jetty when I quickly dived back down, and was able to follow it back into the inlet. I learned a few things that night, the most important being that if you stay calm you may be able to salvage a bad situation. The other thing that was really brought home was the importance of planning your dive meticulously and diving that plan exactly.

Thanks for the info, exactly what i was looking for. Only reason I thought of diving it, i have the truck pass for the beach (though have to renew it) and a 4x4 so it's easily accessible to me. I was mostly concerned with the ocean side, north jetty. Preferably around the submerged section. Was thinking mostly diving the beach side not the channel side as well. As I am also aware there are usually a few boat accidents on that inlet every year from the submerged jetty i'd probably also be looking at diving it night time.

the top of the jetty disappear below me with at least 20 feet of water over it. I surfaced 1/2 mile from the beach, in the open ocean. You can't imagine how I felt as I watched the white breakers crashing on the invisible night beach, far away. I was fortunate to find the submerged jetty when I quickly dived back down, and was able to follow it back into the inlet. I learned a few things that night, the most important being that if you stay calm you may be able to salvage a bad situation. The other thing that was really brought home was the importance of planning your dive meticulously and diving that plan exactly.

Whoa! Kinda cool and scary at the same time. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom