Isla Marisol Resort - Glovers Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to Caribbean Reef Life by Charteris, it’s a Web Burrfish.
Yes, you are probably correct, these are not that unusual, I have seen many. I have not seen such a regular body pattern as in this photo. I missed the 2 small black spots when I first looked. I can't make out the classic eyes in the photo though the iris appears to be yellow.

hello- loved reading this report. Question- are you guaranteed diving every day (unless weather does not permit)? We stayed at Coco Plum a couple of years ago and we loved it- husband got to dive (I don't dive) every day except a bad weather day. We are thinking of going to Manta Island next year but I think they require a minimum number of divers so there would need to be other divers or he would have to pay for 2 people to get to dive. It is already pretty expensive so I am checking again on other spots- for some reason I thought there was no AC on Marisol and native Floridian hubby thinks it is a deal breaker even if it never gets turned on-
Thanks for info about diving.

one more thing- what size, kind of boat did they use for the crossing from Dangriga? Was there any cover? The trip to Coco Plum was not as long but it was in an open (Panga maybe) boat and on the return it rained the whole way- not fun if you had to do that for 1 1/2 hours to Marisol... thanks for info

They had a light load (only 4 guests) so we were in a large Panga (38 foot) with a cover over about 1/2of it. Would not have been an issue in rain but we didn't get any.
I am writing this from Hamanasi in Belize having just done 4 days at Turneffe Island Resort. All 3 resorts are good. It's pretty hard to argue with the value of Isla Marisol. It depends what you want though. The facilities in Hamanasi and Turneffe are 'perfect', not a dead lightbulb or a hint of corrosion. Isla Marisol reflects its position on an isolated reef; bathroom fixtures are perfectly good but show some signs of corrosion on the chrome polish - frankly, who cares? If you own a boat you know it's a full time sprint just to stand still - maintenance is constant. They were constantly working, cleaning and tending to Isla Marisol and it was clear that they really cared about the place, just don't expect everything to be brand new as that would raise the cost significantly and unnecessarily in my opinion.
They have repeat guests (as all of these resorts do) that LOVE the place. Try it, see if it's your gig and if so, smile :)

hello- loved reading this report. Question- are you guaranteed diving every day (unless weather does not permit)? We stayed at Coco Plum a couple of years ago and we loved it- husband got to dive (I don't dive) every day except a bad weather day. We are thinking of going to Manta Island next year but I think they require a minimum number of divers so there would need to be other divers or he would have to pay for 2 people to get to dive. It is already pretty expensive so I am checking again on other spots- for some reason I thought there was no AC on Marisol and native Floridian hubby thinks it is a deal breaker even if it never gets turned on-
Thanks for info about diving.
They have AC. They significantly upgraded the Solar field and battery bank so that shouldn't be an issue. I know from conversation that there were times when they had to request some restriction on hours of use to give the battery bank time to charge (if all units occupied and all AC cranking). I think that has since been resolved.

Isla Marisol is about 100 feet from Manta ;-)
They are separated by a narrow channel. We didn't have any restriction on diving while we were there. We were the only 2 diving guests and we did all 17 dives with the boat/captain and dive master. They also took us to a variety of spots and only took us back to repeat locations when we requested it.

They had a light load (only 4 guests) so we were in a large Panga (38 foot) with a cover over about 1/2of it. Would not have been an issue in rain but we didn't get any.
I am writing this from Hamanasi in Belize having just done 4 days at Turneffe Island Resort. All 3 resorts are good. It's pretty hard to argue with the value of Isla Marisol. It depends what you want though. The facilities in Hamanasi and Turneffe are 'perfect', not a dead lightbulb or a hint of corrosion. Isla Marisol reflects its position on an isolated reef; bathroom fixtures are perfectly good but show some signs of corrosion on the chrome polish - frankly, who cares? If you own a boat you know it's a full time sprint just to stand still - maintenance is constant. They were constantly working, cleaning and tending to Isla Marisol and it was clear that they really cared about the place, just don't expect everything to be brand new as that would raise the cost significantly and unnecessarily in my opinion.
They have repeat guests (as all of these resorts do) that LOVE the place. Try it, see if it's your gig and if so, smile :)
thank you- lol, I am a "steel magnolia" or "hothouse flower" - live on the water, have a boat, understand constant maintenance and just hope to have a toilet that flushes or shower with hot water for a few minutes- totally understand "Navy showers" as a concept I learned 20+ years ago in an out island of the Bahamas (my favorite place on earth but no diving for hubby).
Unfortunately, we cannot afford places like Turnefee, Blackbird, etc. if we go on 2 nice trips a year which is what we like to do.
Actually, leaving Coco Plum in a rain and in their raincoats, we were perfectly fine and laughing (still love a video hubby took of me) with no cover but that was half the distance or so- just wondered. I know the bigger boats suck a lot of gas.
Actually, what I have booked currently is 4 nights on Manta and 4 nights at Layu Beyu in Placencia as I have always wanted to see Placencia- no diving, of course, but a compromise trip. Sooo appreciate any thoughts on either as we have plenty of time to change it all up.... Like I said- only one BZE trip to Coco Plum and one (non diving- years ago) trip to Caye Caulker and Ambergris is our only Belize experience- would love advice and help.

They have AC. They significantly upgraded the Solar field and battery bank so that shouldn't be an issue. I know from conversation that there were times when they had to request some restriction on hours of use to give the battery bank time to charge (if all units occupied and all AC cranking). I think that has since been resolved.

Isla Marisol is about 100 feet from Manta ;-)
They are separated by a narrow channel. We didn't have any restriction on diving while we were there. We were the only 2 diving guests and we did all 17 dives with the boat/captain and dive master. They also took us to a variety of spots and only took us back to repeat locations when we requested it.
any thoughts or perspective on Manta? Let it rip, please. The thing we loved most about Coco Plum was the phenomenal staff and the totally chilled, low key experience- it was like a big family rather than people waiting on you. My husband is in the service industry (runs a fitness facility at a country club) and he said that the CP staff was the best trained, best team he had ever experienced anywhere (and we are NOT people who need to "be waited on" whatsoever)- he was very impressed and we loved them all very much!! Hoping their sister properties are equally wonderful but I HAVE to be sure he dives so would gladly change to Marisol. Thoughts??

any thoughts or perspective on Manta? Let it rip, please. The thing we loved most about Coco Plum was the phenomenal staff and the totally chilled, low key experience- it was like a big family rather than people waiting on you. My husband is in the service industry (runs a fitness facility at a country club) and he said that the CP staff was the best trained, best team he had ever experienced anywhere (and we are NOT people who need to "be waited on" whatsoever)- he was very impressed and we loved them all very much!! Hoping their sister properties are equally wonderful but I HAVE to be sure he dives so would gladly change to Marisol. Thoughts??
Can't comment as didn't go over to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom