Isla Marietas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anje77o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

Has anyone dove here recently? I'm going in one week and am wondering how viz is and if marine life is plentiful.

Can anyone recommend a great dive company that will also take me to Lover's Beach?

Thank you!

Been there last Oct and February.

Vis was maybe 40-50ft in February and maybe 20-30 in October.

Saw a few different fish, puffers, flute fish, some other various schools of fish that I don't recognize. I missed an eel and ray of some sort. Nothing too exotic.

Suppose humpback whales are a possibility with good vis around February although probably a bit further away from the Islands themselves.

A couple of small caverns to dive too... those were probably the most fun.

Access to Lovers Beach is highly restricted. Have to have permits and only stay for 30 min. Can't recall the exact number but only a hundred or so visitors allowed per day. Not worth it for anyone who can dive in my opinion.

Didn't see any divers going there but there are tour companies that get you to snorkel your way to Lovers beach if you go.

Depends what town you are staying in but Chica Loca out of Sayulita does the beach snorkel trip and seems to be well regarded. Not sure what else is available out of Punta de Mita.

Total of about 6 dives in the Marietas. It definitely could have been better but we had a good time.

I dove with Sayulita Entourage both times.

Been there last Oct and February.

Vis was maybe 40-50ft in February and maybe 20-30 in October.

Saw a few different fish, puffers, flute fish, some other various schools of fish that I don't recognize. I missed an eel and ray of some sort. Nothing too exotic.

Suppose humpback whales are a possibility with good vis around February although probably a bit further away from the Islands themselves.

A couple of small caverns to dive too... those were probably the most fun.

Access to Lovers Beach is highly restricted. Have to have permits and only stay for 30 min. Can't recall the exact number but only a hundred or so visitors allowed per day. Not worth it for anyone who can dive in my opinion.

Didn't see any divers going there but there are tour companies that get you to snorkel your way to Lovers beach if you go.

Depends what town you are staying in but Chica Loca out of Sayulita does the beach snorkel trip and seems to be well regarded. Not sure what else is available out of Punta de Mita.

Total of about 6 dives in the Marietas. It definitely could have been better but we had a good time.

I dove with Sayulita Entourage both times.
I appreciate this (older) post, just for the overview and general feel. I'm going to Sayulita this Feb, for a week with wife & friends. If I dive - I expect practice, medium visibility, chilly compared the Caribbean, and probably medium on the sea-creatures. Though, the more I dive, the more likely I am to have a more-interesting 'you never know' encounter. Thanks 🤿

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom