Isla Holbox in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MountainM

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have to go down to Playa Del Carmen beginning of march then was looking at taking off for 3-4 days after the wedding to some place to get some major relaxing in, a little fishing and some freediving\snorkeling.

Isla Holbox looks real nice and laid back and not to built up, which is what I like but other then whalesharks in the summer doesn't look like there is much snorkeling or freediving to do. Any reefs or anything in the region? I would mind doing some spearfishing too.

Looks like the fishing for tarpon and such are pretty good year around.

Anyone with any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

We stayed on Holbox about 5 years ago. Very quiet and underdeveloped but not good for snorkeling diving etc. Viz very poor. Good for wind surfing, shell collecting, loooong walks on the beach with nobody else around. Probably good for sportfishing since there were quite a lot of commercial fishing boats (pangas) on the beach. Take cash with you. There are no ATM's or banks on the island and no-one takes credit cards. Well worth going to just to see a unique way of life. The locals are rather shy but friendly.

I was there for whalesharks in July. Vis is not good. Couldnt even get a whole whaleshark in the frame because the viz was less than the 30 ft. fish. Not much else to do there other than the sharks. Bugs in July were really bad too.

Maybe I would suggest Isla Muheres. It is built up but no cruise ships so not way overcrowded and not the "ugly American" vibe you sometimes get in Cozumel

Hi Doug,

I love Holbox, but if you are not there for chilling out, fishing, windsurfing or whale sharks when in season, its just like Oldmaninthesea said. I would suggest considering heading south to Majahual or Xcalak for the remoteness you seek but with the beautiful reefs for diving and snorkeling.

Hi Doug,

Since you are in PDC, go south. The further south you go, the more local you will get and still have Carib waters. I stop around Tulum. Beaches are off the chart, not many reefs, but very laid back. What you are really looking for is a lot further south and most of your remaining vacation time will be spent just getting there.

Underwater you will find nothing but sandy, shallow bottoms. It's the Gulf and not the Caribbean...and you can distinctly tell the difference. However I would recommend renting a boat and going around the mangrove swamp areas. I've seen baby spotted eagle rays and sharks in the estatuary waters. Take cash and have fun! Go by Willy's Whale Shark tours and say "Hola" from the staff of Fantasea Dive here in Playa del Carmen.

Uh let me think...I would do the same...rent a boat and head over into the Sian Ka'an Reserve area. It's beautiful back up in there...reefs turning into mangrove swamps with tons of wildlife.

Do you know if it is legal to spear in Punta Allen?

Back
Top Bottom