Votes: 66 26.9%
  • Don't have spouse/s.o. but it would be important to me

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Don't have spouse/s.o. but it would NOT be important to me

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doll_fins

Reaction score
Just curious about how many of you have your spouse or significant other as your dive buddy?!

I do not have either (spouse or s.o.) and would think that it would be fairly important to me that when I do find them, they would be my dive buddy...

what do you think?

My s.o. is my dive buddy for all of her dives, but not for all of mine. She was certified last year and did her AOW last month. As part of that she has to do two dives in the ocean off of Jersey, but these will probably be her only Jersey dives as she hates the cold water. She and I plan to travel quite a bit to warm water locations and dive together.

I, on the other had, love diving up here and plan to expand my wreck diving as much as possible. I have a dive buddy with whom I have taken all of my training, but he just bought a house so he doesn't get out as much as I do. I am still looking for a dive budy who likes wreck diving as much as I do.

As for having a spouse/so into diving, I don't think it matters as long as both of you are understanding. Having different interest are almost as important as having like interest.

Ty

I met my boyfriend at a scuba diving expo. Since we did not get certified together wel bot already had dive buddies of our own when we met. We will dive together occasionally but we have different interests - he spearfishes and I enjoy photography - so most of the time we actually dive with other people. However, it is nice to have a relationship with someone who shares your interests.

Sometimes my wife is my buddy, sometimes our son, and sometimes both! My wife is certified AOW, Nitrox, and Rescue. Our son is OW. He needs more training before he'll be able to join us on some of the dives we're looking forward to.

Guys,
My wife figured she was probably going to be a warm water only diver. Now that she's getting a new DUI drysuit, We plan on doing a lot more cold water diving!! We're looking forward to some Great Lakes Wrecks!! :)

refuses to try scuba diving although she is quite happy to jump out of perfectly good airplanes which is something I will NOT do. So we each go our own seperate ways.

Yea sure it would be nice but there is a lot more that I put higher on the list before diving before someone gets the title of wife. (supermodel looks/skilled bedroom athlete/cooking/cleaning/six figure income/sane/willing to put up with me..... in no particular order.... well maybe sane should be first..... maybe)

Seperate interests are very important-- and accepting that you can be apart and still have fun.

I voted "NO," my spouse is not my buddy, although we started out as buddies, took OW together, & occasionally buddy or dive as part of a group together. The emotional agony of being screamed at for weak giant strides, for crawling beach exits, for accidental rapid ascents made diving unpleasant. His interference (adding too much weight to control my ascents, holding me still in the surf zone to stop my crawling, trying to force me to take my fins off in the surf zone instead of exitting with them on) made me feel unsafe.

I had heard that some couples just are not meant to dive together. I hope that someday he will not be so identified with my image as a diver, perhaps when he feels more accomplished himself. Until then, I get more confidence & have more fun diving with people who don't focus on my weaknesses. Since I have been diving with other buddies, I am a much better diver.

:(

No,

He's too busy flying. Since he's now going to be a full time pilot he's hanging in the air all the time. Luckly I have good dive buddies. I occasionally goes flying with him but he'll never dive with me. He got certified in Israel some years back but he never really caught the bug. And he's skinny and don't like cold water. So there you are!

Back
Top Bottom