Is your purge valve uncomfortable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6gunsal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Scubapro CrystalVu mask that I have been very happy with. It gives a wide field of view, fits my face right, blah blah blah. The only problem is that after wearing it for 30+ minutes, the bottom of my nose/top of my mouth area of my face starts to hurt. I never noticed this in the pool sessions of training because we didn't spend that long UW at one time. I figure this has something to do with the purge valve since it is located directly over this spot and it is make of a harder material.
Is this just something I need to get over, or is it related to purge, in which case I should look for a new mask?

thanks

I don't have a purge mask, never did.

However, did you happen to add a hood in going from the pool to open water? If you did add a hood and have not reset the mask strap then the hood would have the effect of uncomfortably tightening the mask.

Pete

nope, no hood. I did think of the strap though, and mine seems pretty loose.

well theres one supporter of the purge theory. Thanks guys

Yes. I posted a thread about this yesterday. I couldn't equalize because the hard plastic piece on the purge valve hurt my nose too much. I had to take my mask completely off, equalize, then replace and clear my mask. I went back to my non-purge mask on the second dive and didn't have any more issues.

I have also had similiar problems on my Cressi w/out any purge valves. I have equated it to the strap.
Try and level the strap across the back of your head. If you leave it in an angle, which you may have done then it tends to press against the bottom of your nose.
There is a pressure point there that within minutes can become annoying.

I have also had similiar problems on my Cressi w/out any purge valves. I have equated it to the strap.
Try and level the strap across the back of your head. If you leave it in an angle, which you may have done then it tends to press against the bottom of your nose.
There is a pressure point there that within minutes can become annoying.
thanks, I'll give that a try next time I go out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom