Is your gear insured?

Is your gear insured?

• Nothing is insured

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Everything down to each little clip and D-ring!

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Some of it's insured, but not everything

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Only flood insurance on cameras

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sure...its insured...homeowners ins. covers someone stealing it from my house...I think car ins. covers it being stolen from my locked vehicle...

Out of curiousity...Why are you asking?

My car was broken into right in front of my house. My insurance co (liberty mutual) told me that only items that are part of the car ie sound system or parts were attached to the car were covered by my theft insurance. I thought everything in the car was covered by theft but I was wrong, so if your betting on your car insurance covering you in the event of theft from your car, you better call your insurance carrier.

homeowners will cover it as long as the vehical is ON the property. In the street infront of the house is no good, but in the drivway is OK as long as it is secured somehow. sitting in the open backyard is not secured. And of course your homeowners deductable will kick in also.....

car insurance probably doesn't cover it being stolen from a vehicle. i had a (company) laptop stolen out of the back of my car in 2001. i had to report it to my insurance company because the way they used to get in damanged a lock. they also mentioned that anything not actually bolted to the car was not covered for theft under my car insurance.

i believe that homeowners or renters insurance may cover theft from your car as well as your home/apt.

at any rate, you should check it out with your insurance company/companies...

scubasean once bubbled...
sure...its insured...homeowners ins. covers someone stealing it from my house...I think car ins. covers it being stolen from my locked vehicle...

Out of curiousity...Why are you asking?

1- there are a few companies out there, that sell gear insurance, wondering if it's worth it?
2- camera's and housings ain't cheap, and as far as I know, no housing, even the really high end (aka: insanely expensive) cover the camera if it floods
3- just look at some of the other replies

Hey d33ps1x, what gear do use?

If you are putting all your dive gear into a suitcase for a trip, then insurance makes sense to me for the trip. It does not cost a lot, and you get a good return on your minimal premium.

Other types of insurance for gear seem like a mere substitution for good security to me, and a waste of money.

If you have a break-in risk at home, then a nice big safe is probably the best investment. My regulators, computers, knives, and lights go into my safe with jewelry, cameras and other valuables. The rest goes into a locking footlocker. With all the stuff inside, the footlocker is hard to lift, but probably not worth stealing either.

You can get a nice safe at most high-end sporting goods stores. They come in small (size of a mini-refridgerator), medium (size of a chest), large (you could squeeze into it), and very large (closet sized) and vary in price anywhere from $250 to $2500 or more.

IMHO it really depends on how much gear you have, where you live, and where you dive.

Because we teach Instructor-level courses, we have more gear than some LDses. :wink: We also have a substantial amount of u/w cameras, strobes, etc.

Homeowners insurance has drawbacks: it may not cover ALL the gear or may not cover it outside the particular country in which you reside.

Thus supplimentary insurance through someone like D.E.P.P. helps cover it ALL. Especially when it comes to covering some of the camera gear for flooding.

That's what works for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom