Is wolf / Darwin safe for youth divers?

Would you recommend a 14 year old with 50+ dives dive wolf/ Darwin this august?

• I would not recommend a 14 year old dive wolf/ Darwin?

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • It is safe! Go dive wolf and darwin!

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, don't bring any kids to dive in Galapagos unless they are extraordinarily experienced. Cold, currents, surge, and temptation to chase after a whale shark into the blue. Not a good risk to take with your kids.

Quite a few years ago, when I had been diving only a few years, a friend who I knew to be a much more experienced diver told me he was going on a trip to the Galapagos, and he was excited about it. When he got back, he did not seem as excited, and he said the diving was a lot more challenging than he had expected. Not many years after that I went myself. I was by then much more experienced, and did not think it was all that bad. I thought about my friend, and I wondered what had been so tough for him. When I was in the Wolf and Darwin area, I used a 5mm suit and was toasty warm. I don't think that is normal.

Near that time, I had been going to Cozumel for many years, sometimes with relatives. One year one of those relatives got certified just before the trip so he could dive with me. As it turned out, the currents that year were the worst I have ever seen in Cozumel. They were also strange in that they kept trying to blow us off the reef more than along it. The diving was very difficult, even for me. My relative quit halfway through the week and never dived anywhere again. The next year I went to Cozumel again, and the currents were barely flowing. It would have been a piece of cake for him.

Summary: People in a thread like this can tell you what it was like when they were there, but they cannot tell you what it will be like when you are there. Conditions in the Galapagos can vary quite a bit. I have only been to the Galapagos once, and it wasn't bad, but I will assume that with different conditions it can be very difficult. If I were making the decision, I would not risk it. You may miss a great, fun trip, but you may escape the opposite.

On my trip to the Galapagos, there was a family with 3 older teenage girls. I think a couple were their kids and a friend. I don't know their experience or training level, but at least a couple of them did nitrox at the beginning of the trip. They dived in a different group than I did but, apparently had a good time and dived safely.

We just returned from the Galapagos. Though at the end of the warm season we wore 7mm suits. In the north the water was "warm" in the central islands the water was "cool" the 7mm was fine - those who wore 5mm added a 3mm for some dives. We worn garden gloves for grabbing rocks in the current while in the north.

We renamed the Landslide dive site at Wolf to the Washing Machine. The dive started out in strong but manageable currents. We were grabbing rocks along the way to stop and watch the action. But about 30 minutes into the dive a second merging current came into the play. Combined they made a mask ripping current. My wife and I managed to hang on but were also blown off initially because we were trying to truly buddy up because we preparing for a big ride and wanted to stay together. Finally we aborted the dive. Our ascent was not pretty, we got about a minute into our safety stop when we were pushed to the surface. Rather than trying to re-establish our safety-stop we went to the surface to 4'+ swells. I used my horn to get the attention of the panga driver. While we never went arse-over-tea kettle others did.

That said, one can dive the Galapagos and not dive Wolf and Darwin as most of the central island dive sites do not have as rough and strong currents.

We are going on the Calipso in January with our LDS. I was with our LDS owner at DEMA when we picked the boat and date. We picked January because June to December is rougher seas and colder water. We felt some of our travel group would have trouble with rougher seas and colder water.

Just because January is the beginning of the warm season does not mean warm water. In fact, I would plan for cool water. If one really wants hedge their bets to have warmer water going in late March- April - early May would be a better choice. In late May - early June we had temps that were as high as 81 and as low as 67. As as described above we as also had some rough currents.

August has rough conditions in Galapagos. Having said that, it's not about what will happen, but about what can happen. 14 & 50 dives is not enough experience, imho. If knowing your kids, you do feel like they are up to the challenge, you should get a private dive guide for them, maybe for the 4 of you. If I were still managing Calipso, I would insist on it as a condition of allowing them onboard. But as Rob said above, don't allow the boat to make a decision about safety on behalf of your children. I would Gaby Cabrera as a private guide if she is available. Some dive guides are more patient with inexperienced divers than other dive guides. The rate for a private guide should have dropped as all liveaboards are paying dive guides less now than before COVID. That will change as things get back to normal, but for now, people need the work.

Thank you so much for the advice! I am grateful! We are going to do our advanced open water in Ecuador with a very Galapagos experienced dive instructor. He will help us practice in cold water and strong currents. We will practice with him in cold water, with 8 mil wet suits, and strong currents.
And still think about wolf
And Darwin?

Thank you so much for the advice! I am grateful! We are going to do our advanced open water in Ecuador with a very Galapagos experienced dive instructor. He will help us practice in cold water and strong currents. We will practice with him in cold water, with 8 mil wet suits, and strong currents.
And still think about wolf
And Darwin?
My 15y son has 150-200 divers. He dives with drysuit and low viz (10ft). No way I would let him dive there.

I would not take my kids there to dive. They have +/- 300 dives.

I just got back and dived at both Wolf and Darwin. The Calipso allows for a private dive Master for $800 per week. I would take my teenagers with me if I could hire a dive master to be in charge of them. That would be a solution.

Back
Top Bottom