Is Venice appropriate for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boiler_81

Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to the Tampa area during Easter week. I want to do the tooth dive with my 15 year old son. I am an experienced diver but he is newly certified. Is a tooth charter appropriate for him? What visibility should I expect in mid April?

a tooth dive in Venice is a great dive for a new diver . it is in most cases a low stress dive whether from the beach or off a boat. your max depth will generally be less than 30 fsw so you can really maximize your bottom time.its also a great way for one to refresh some basics if they have not been diving for a while.

My 13 year old step-daughter did very well and it was her first ocean diving.
She found a nice tooth as well! I can't speak to the viz, but I've been twice in May
and viz was 10-20, plenty to see the teeth.

Viz averages 6 ft, but can be as much as 30 ft (very rare) or as little as zero (also rare). Viz is almost always at least 3 or 4 inches and rarely more than 8 - 10 ft. Some new divers enjoy this, especially with a buddy experienced in low viz diving, others hate it.

My daughter first dove Venice at 11 years old. We found some nice teeth and go back every year.

Yep... it's a pretty good dive for new divers... shallow and rarely current... you can get your hands on some stuff since there's nothing there to hurt like coral... and you get to keep what you find! :wink:

depending upon the time of year, it can be really warm since it's shallow... you can overheat if you can believe that... other than that it's a good treat!

Two days ago we had 10-15 ft vis - nice dives.

The boat CAPT mentioned that April is a good time to dive and tends to have better vis - the water is also warming up at that time (should be mid-70s - maybe warmer)

I would say it's a great dive for a new diver - you can practice some compass work and finding teeth is a blast.

I posted this in a different thread (sorry for the duplication), but it seemed more appropriate for this thread. My 12 yr. old has been diving about 6 months and this dive was a piece of cake for him and he had a blast.

"Did a beach dive with my 12yr old son directly off the pavilion at Venice beach. First dive ever in this location and we brought back about 20 small teeth, dugong ribs, a piece of whale bone and (the prize) a 4" long Meg tooth with nice serrations. We had almost 10 ft of vis and seas were like glass (not so good later in the day when the wind changed direction). Great dive, I can't wait to get back."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom