Is training needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm currently very new to diving (5 dives solo so far), but I've done lots of studying on the topic of safe diving. It seems every video I watch/literature I read seems to beat the same things into my head over and over, mask clearing, understanding dive tables, boyles law, clearing 2nd stage, etc.

My question what is getting an OW cert going to do for me? I already own my own kit and get tanks filled so I don't really need to rent stuff. I just struggle to find the value of getting the cert when all the information is available online.

I picked up Deco for divers by mark powell and read it. I have a pretty good handle on the info and I have an Air integrated computer so the thought of going into deco doesn't scare me.

Open to all feedback please let me know.

The certification won't do anything for you since you're able to draw gas somewhere but training will do a lot to mitigate risk.

Under your current training plan, you have an increased chance of becoming an entry in DAN's database.

The certification won't do anything for you since you're able to draw gas somewhere but training will do a lot to mitigate risk.

Under your current training plan, you have an increased chance of becoming an entry in DAN's database.
What specific training? I can and do practice the skills i read in the standards, is there somethings the literature doesn't teach?

I don't see a problem with it. You may have trouble getting tank fills. Also you may have trouble finding people to dive with you - I would not dive with a new diver who was not certified - too much liability.

However, I had a friend I dove with for years (on his boat) and we often went well past the recreational limits. Then one day he says, hey you know any instructors? I want to get certified so I can dive on vacation.

The issue of certification never came up until then. LOL

I probably could have read a book and then drove a car, but that doesn't mean there wasn't value in taking driver's ed or training with my father in a parking lot and learning from an actual human being with a lot more experience than me.

Without it, you'll be limited to shore dives as commercial boat operators require a certification. The certification should be easy if your self assessment is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom