Is tipping a N. American thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was having lunch at one of my local favorites. The place was packed due to a convertion in town. When I was discussing how good business was with the owner, he started complaining about the fact that his wait staff was busier than a one legged man in a arse kicking contest, but they would basically make nothing because the majority of the clients were asian, and they don't tip.

I was aware the Japanese don't believe in tipping, but as our conversaion continued, he basically indicated that tipping is just not done in the rest of the world, that it's a N. American thing.

So is that true? I was under the impression that in Europe, and Aus, that tipping was common if not expected?

Comments?

RonFrank:
So is that true? I was under the impression that in Europe, and Aus, that tipping was common if not expected?

Comments?
Aus I don't know. I know in Europe it's normal that on your bill is a statement - "Service charge included". That actually means that you are already paying your tip whether you want to or not. However - it's fairly common to tip above that by leaving something on the table which goes to the person who served you directly as a special "Thank You". This cannot be expected though so while maybe while Europeans WILL tip...it's probably not as much as N.Americans do.

I believe N.America is rather different as people are paid a basic wage which is based on the idea that they'll receive proper tips to make it up to a "reasonable" wage (correct me if I'm mistaken).
In Japan, as you noted, tipping is completely alien. In fact here, if you try to tip someone you'll cause great embarrassment. (I know...I tried once) In Japan the idea of "service" is so built into the culture that paying more for it is seen as outrageous. Of course - people get paid accordingly to start with so it's a non-issue.

Tipping is certainly done in Asia; just not the automatic 20-25% minimum expected by wait staff in the US. Here in Thailand (at least in hotels and some restaurants), the bill usually includes a 10% service charge and 7% VAT so the tip is on top of that.

My Australian buds tell me that tipping is for extra-special service only, but isn't required. Their baseline seems to be about 10%. Japanese don't tip, but then again their servers get a bit better pay than in the US, NA, etc. A bit...
As for me, I used to wait tables myself so I respect the job. I tip according to service rendered; maybe 10-20%. Usually that adds up to something, but on two occassions left only one penny (didn't want them to think I'd forgotten but wanted to let them know their service was really crap).
It's a pity, because last time in Saipan, I wanted to leave some nicer tips but everything at the hotel included a 10% service fee. Forced tipping for the Japanese, but on a couple of occasions, I would have left more. Oh well.

Vie:
Tipping is certainly done in Asia; just not the automatic 20-25% minimum expected by wait staff in the US.

For dining, tips are generally 15% in the US. This amount should not include the price of alchohol.
For other services, it's entirely up to the person spending the money. No server in their right mind would EXPECT 20-25%. You've been paying too much! Of course, some of us are worth that much...

Hmmm... I wasn't aware that you don't tip on alcohol, and I actually worked in the restaurant business for a while. Of course I rarely order drinks when I'm out, so it doesn't matter to me but I used to tip on the total including tax and alcohol.

the part that always confuses me is, if it is added on by "them" and is not optional, is it still a tip? I think in many European countries the tip is added by the establishment.

I did not tip in Iceland because my beer was ten dollars.

If you leave a tip on the table here in Korea, you're likely to have the waiter chase you down the street to return the money you "forgot". I've embarrassed some people by offering a tip but then again, others have accepted it just fine. So I guess it depends on the situation but generally, it's not done here.

I think it is primarily a N American thing. Nobody really tips in England. As stated before, we have the 'service charge' built in, and tend to agree with Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom