Is this Vandenburg Art Exhibit for Real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

• article-2181860-144B4236000005DC-439_964x656.jpg
    article-2181860-144B4236000005DC-439_964x656.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 8,455
It's for real: I dove the Vandy in May. The artwork is more in the 95 foot range, not 145 feet, if I recall. I know I did not go below 102 feet and I got a good look at all the artwork. (note that this exhibit is not on the Mightly O off Florida's Panhandle, which is a much deeper wreck: you might have confused the deck depths of the two wrecks). Sometime this weekend, I'll post a few of the photos I took of the artwork.

Yep it's there. Pretty cool. You can see them a little bit around the 1 min mark of this video I took in June. It's a little shaky.

[video=youtube;F4YyVjzKWqM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4YyVjzKWqM&feature=channel&list=UL[/video]

nice video, I have never dove the Vandy, but would like to.

Incidentally, was that your instructor that was standing on the bottom and giving you and your buddies a thumbs up pretty much every time you stopped?

Here's a few photos I took of some of the artwork: the 'art gallery' is a little weird, but pretty cool none-the-less. The white marks are my strobe bouncing off the art.

kick_boxer_artwork_vandenberg_may_25_2012.JPG

little_girl_artwork_vanderber_may_25_2012.JPG

boys_with_trike_and_bear_vandenberg_may_25_2012.JPG

---------- Post Merged at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:43 PM ----------

All of the pictures use the Vandenberg as the setting. In the kickboxing picture, you can clearly see the radar dish in the background. The little girl is chasing butterflies (or fish) on the deck of the Vandenberg near where the actual artwork is hung.

nice video, I have never dove the Vandy, but would like to.

Incidentally, was that your instructor that was standing on the bottom and giving you and your buddies a thumbs up pretty much every time you stopped?
What you have a problem with wreck divers/instructors who walk on the bottom:shakehead:

That was our guide. None of us are AOW, so we had to dive with a guide. My two buddies are still pretty new, so he was constantly checking on them. Their air consumption was a good bit more than mine, so he was constantly checking. I thought he was a great guide. Very attentive, and everyone was back on the boat with at least 500 psi. Max depth on dive one was 115. Dive 2 we hit 126 to check out a grouper under the bow.

my daughter and I were going to try and sneak down this weekend to dive the Vandy before school starts, but she's been sick all week. Maytbe the weekend of the 24. We're jealous.

I'm speechless!

That was our guide. None of us are AOW, so we had to dive with a guide. My two buddies are still pretty new, so he was constantly checking on them. Their air consumption was a good bit more than mine, so he was constantly checking. I thought he was a great guide. Very attentive, and everyone was back on the boat with at least 500 psi. Max depth on dive one was 115. Dive 2 we hit 126 to check out a grouper under the bow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom