Is this the best all-in-one compressor system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking for a compressor system for installation on a boat.

Something robust, easy to use, and well tested.

Is this Bauer system my best option, or is there something better?

Bauer Verticus Plus

I'm looking for a compressor system for installation on a boat.
Define your "Boat" size and your generator size, Compressor model would be useful also
Is this Bauer system my best option, or is there something better?
No its not your best option and yes there are other makes much better (for your application). To kick off first do a google search for "Bauer oil inclination level"
You will see depending on the model type specified either a 5 degrees maximum to a 15 degrees maximum inclination is allowable.
Now on a yacht this is not your best option gold standard and on your "boat" unless your planning only filling in port or on a glass calm sea neither models are any good for your application.

Second for a boat are the heads made of stainless steel or aluminium, are the fitting steel or stainless steel are the cooling coils 316 stainless steel (or bronze) or aluminium.
Is the crankshaft Apticoated for marine use is the crankcase ductile iron or aluminium
Do you have any powder coated steel components like the baseplate brackets fixings etc that will rust
Or is it coated in a NORSOK M501 Marine coating. Also are the nuts and bolts in 316 A4 stainless or mild steel zinc plated.

You see the difference between options beginning to form.

Define your "Boat" size and your generator size, Compressor model would be useful also

No its not your best option and yes there are other makes much better (for your application). To kick off first do a google search for "Bauer oil inclination level"
You will see depending on the model type specified either a 5 degrees maximum to a 15 degrees maximum inclination is allowable.
Now on a yacht this is not your best option gold standard and on your "boat" unless your planning only filling in port or on a glass calm sea neither models are any good for your application.

Second for a boat are the heads made of stainless steel or aluminium, are the fitting steel or stainless steel are the cooling coils 316 stainless steel (or bronze) or aluminium.
Is the crankshaft Apticoated for marine use is the crankcase ductile iron or aluminium
Do you have any powder coated steel components like the baseplate brackets fixings etc that will rust
Or is it coated in a NORSOK M501 Marine coating. Also are the nuts and bolts in 316 A4 stainless or mild steel zinc plated.

You see the difference between options beginning to form.

The vessel is 37 meters. Fitted with zero speed stabilizers to minimize roll.

Still 20-22 months out, so we can make any necessary accomodations for space and power load.

The compressor will be installed in a large lazaret, protected from weather, but it still needs to be corrosion resistant.

I figure there has to be a gold standard for compressors at sea. What's the high quality option for a typical live-aboard dive boat?

In Florida there is a company who custom made water cooled version of Bauer. Install Portfolio – Moondog Dive Outfitters

My friend's yacht is a 50 meter and he has 2 of custom water cooled Bauer for Nitrox. I can't remember if it is from MoonDog or not, but is from FLORIDA, that is for sure.
I doubt there are many custom shops doing such thing in in FLORIDA.
I believe each unit does not exceed 320L per minute.

So the modification is how to convert an air cooled to water cooled and the water cooling is awesome,
it uses HVAC system , think chilled water HVAC of a typical 20 meter and up yacht, that's the same chilled water cooling the compressor heads. I do not think the block get water cooled, just the heads.

Attachments

• j1.JPG
    j1.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 51
I was busy diving Raja Ampat on this 50M , and I did not take too much photo of the compressor, sorry.

I forgot to add, it has the Nitrox Membrane system.
These unit are not cheap, tell ur Boss to be prepared to pay the premium $$.
1 is the nitrox membrane. 2 are the compressors

Attachments

• j2.JPG
    j2.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 51
  • j3.JPG
    j3.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 50
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom