Is this the average diver?

Is this the average diver?

• Yes

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 143 94.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to my scientific research, the average diver, at least on SB, dives with a back plate and wing, a long hose primary regulator and a bungeed backup, a non-AI computer with a SPG, and has an average RMV of 0.4-0.59 cubic feet/minute (11.3-16.7 liters/min)

Does this describe the average diver you see in your diving?

How do you dive, part 2?
View attachment 587798

Regulator configuration for recreational diving
View attachment 587800

How do you dive?
View attachment 587801

Average Gas Consumption
View attachment 587803

If you have not voted in any of the previous polls, consider doing so :)
Not even close to what I've seen - I've dived mainly in the Caribbean and French Polynesia to date - BP/W is not very common, long hose primary and bungeed secondary is even more rare. AI computers seem quite widely in use, but still see lots of SPG's (especially consoles). I have no idea on RMV as it has never come up as a topic of conversation on any of my dives!

For me, I dive BPW, standard PADI hose config for primary/secondary regs, 2 AI computers with 2 transmitters (no SPG) and have an RMV of ~0.4-0.45 (have hit 0.38 on a "recent" dive).

I will say that, aside from RMV (as folks don't just offer that up in conversation), I have been to 1 place for a few training dives where 99% of the divers were exactly as you described (and most had black Scubapro jet fins as well): Dutch Springs in PA.

I make of point of NOT associating with warm water only divers. We have nothing in common! :rofl3:

My dive buddies/local divers I know are a mixed bunch. I know a bunch of folks who frequently dive Great Lakes wrecks and the local quarries, but they do it in standard recreational setup - jacket BC and reg with octo with the usual hose lengths. Usually in wetsuits. Others dive rec profiles with BP/W. Their regs might be rec or tech. These folks are often in drysuits. Then the rest are tech or going that way and are likely diving doubles, even if recreational profiles. I’m in the last bunch. Reactions will be interesting when I start showing up on the local boat with my doubles from the occasional wreck divers. It’s good for these folks to be exposed to other gear configurations.

It's the above average diver.
Think I agree. I haven't been around other divers for a while, but I would agree with some of the poll and disagree with some. Many divers I've seen on boats have DCs, not many with long hoses, some with BP & W.
I use jacket BC, not long hose and usually watch and analog (only DC when below 30-40 feet). I don't know if that is average. Can't really vote definately yes or no.

Most of the diving I do these days is from a liveaboard or solo from my own boat. Most of the divers I meet on liveaboards have many hundreds of dives and almost none dive anything but the "standard" open water configuration. It used to be the case that my BP/wing long hose configuration was unique, however now there might be one or two other divers on the boat diving something similar and nobody is commenting anymore whereas five years ago someone would have commented about the "technical" configuration. Having said all of that, local diving here in the Pacific North West a BP/Wing/long hose/dry suit configuration is pretty common.

I'm out (pre-COVID) on a boat (lets say 10-12 guests per boat) 5-6 days a week. The majority of our guests are tourists, some being more than just vacation divers.

Most are using our rental gear: Standard jacket BCD, primary/secondary regulators with a console AI Computer

Of those that bring their own gear (including locals) I see an occasional BPW (Most of those know what they are doing but not all...)

But surprisingly I see a ton of Hydros Pros (They're gonna die!) in use. Maybe a 1/4 having an Air2 (Oh GAWD they are really gonna die)

I definitely do not think the SB responses to the polls represent the average diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom