Is this safe training practice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peter_dorset

Reaction score
Would you expect a Student on their second Open Water (non confined) dive in the UK with less than 1 meters viz and with water temperature of 14 degrees to take their mask off at 16 meters in depth?

The site had training platforms at 6 meters so my question is; is this good safe diving practice or should the training platforms be used?

Look forward to your comments.

Peter

Well, theoretically you could have your mask kicked off or flood in Low Viz at any depth and you should be comfortable recovering it it and clearing it. If a diver plans on diving deeper that 6 meters he/she should be comfortable with this skill. Just MHO...

Depends on the student.

Gary D.

The equipment provided was too big for her since she is very petite and the exposure suite was badly fitting with a nonexistent neck seal.

In 6 meters the water was warmer and the student was relaxed about this. However the instructor then changed the dive plan without informing the students.

Because she was already cold this seems to be unreasonable particularly as she only realised the change once the decent had past 8 meters.

When I qualified the maximum depth I was trained in was 6 meters open water. To go deep would have required a shovel. So was this bad?

I agree that a situation can occur at any depth.

The question I am trying to ask is, was this a bit too adventurous?

Cheers
Peter

60 feet/18 meters is the max depth for open water dives and it is common to restrict the first two dives to 40 feet/12 meters. I might have a student remove a mask at that depth, but probably not for the first time. It is more troubling to me that the instructor made an unexpected change in the dive plan. There are a lot of stress factors here: cold water, ill-fitting equipment, very low visibility, and an unexpected change in plan. Sounds less than ideal to me for the student's stress level, but if the instructor was in control of the situation, I would not say it is unsafe. In low viz, an instructor will stay very close to the student and may even be in physical contact. Even if safety is not compromised, I am not sure this is the best way to develop a comfortable and confident diver. Sure, you have to be prepared to cope with anything, but it's usually better to start with something closer to the student's comfort zone and then work up to the more challenging situations.

sounds like a poor call.

peter_dorset:
The question I am trying to ask is, was this a bit too adventurous?

Cheers
Peter

Were you actually there, or is this hearsay? Given that she's training in the UK, cold water and poor viz. are the norms in your inland fresh/salt water facilities. X

That is precisely why I only allow people to knock my mask off in warm tropical water, near the surface, with good visibility.

Back
Top Bottom