Is this possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ns2ny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This was a note I posted in another thread but decided to move to a new one to get some additional input...

The question surrounds the issue of having neoprene socks rather than fixed boots on your drysuit. The upside, so I am told is comfort and the possibility to reduce floaty feet. The downside is that unless you wear rock boots or something, you can damage the socks.

If someone had a suit w/ the soft sock, would it not be possible to get a cheap/thin rubber sole from the local shoe repair and glue them onto the bottom. That would:

a) avoid the need for rock boots or shoes,
b) likely mean you could still use your regular fins
c) not rip holes in the socks if you have to walk rocks, etc
d) replace them (the soles) pretty damn easily.

I know that DUI has the turbo soles but this would seem to be more flexible. Tell me, what's wrong with this picture????

THanks...david

As far as I know, the neoprene socks were designed to be worn with boots like the rock boots. I didn't know you could (or should) use them without anything. And I certainly wouldn't think to glue anything to them either.

I don't think it would be a problem, but neoprene is pretty stretchy. The rock boots I wear help keep my booties from expanding when air gets in them, and I don't think I'd want to give that up.

YOu might find that over time the neoprene on your instep wears out from ur fin without anything to protect it.

I THINK and i could be wrong here, that Gates (now Hunter) do something similar to what you are looking at. Their dry suits actually use the neoprene socks but they have coated them lightly in rubber. Makes them VERY comfortable but you always feel any stone could rip through them. Hasn't happened yet mind you.

S

You pretty much just described the DUI turbo sole. I have turbo soles on both my suits (one is over 7 years old), never had to replace them, and as for flexibility, you can bend them in half easily.

Another option would be to buy a cheap pair of tennis shoes instead of the rock boots.

Paula

Bob3:
What you're describing was how drysuit boots USED to be like 30 - 40 years ago.
The reason the boots are the way they are nowdays is because folks wanted better/longer wearing boots.

Bob..Thanks for the input. Let me ask you since you have presented a historical perspective....

Why are more folks today seem to be leaning towards the soft sock, turbo soles, etc. as compared to a fixed boot?

david

soft sock, it doesn't wear out, when your rock boots, trek boots... wear out, just get a new pair. Also, they're warm, you can get the ones that fit properly, and for those of us that do lots of shore dives, they're great support when walking down the rocky paths. I use the trek boots with my setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom