Is this modification safe to do to a regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWAMPY459

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to do a tank mounted go pro camera that is looking over my shoulder.

I saw a similar video on youtube and the guy got the effect that I want to achieve, but he had one problem... bubbles from the regulator exhaust port bubbling up and hitting the camera.

I have an aeris A2 regulator...

Would it be safe to block the left exhaust port with electrical or duct tape and let all the air go out to the right side?

(alternatively, if you say that's not safe for the equipment, I just had a thought that maybe I could take a short piece of currogated hose and route the bubbles out the back similar to the old aqua-lung twin hose regulators??)

What do you think?

I don't see a big issue with blocking one side. Usually the area of each side is larger than the area of the exhaust port itself so it should not be an issue. It may give you a little problem when you turn your head/body and put the reg on it's side. It may tend to freeflow in one direction and it will be a little harder th exhale through in the other but not so much as to be a real issue. As for adding hoses to extend it to the rear, bad idea. It introduces a lot of issues that are not worth dealing with....now if you really want the bubbles in the rear, upgrade to a double hose reg.

Would it be safe to block the left exhaust port with electrical or duct tape and let all the air go out to the right side?
(alternatively, if you say that's not safe for the equipment, I just had a thought that maybe I could take a short piece of currogated hose and route the bubbles out the back similar to the old aqua-lung twin hose regulators??)

It won't hurt the regulator, but it will probably bother you. I'm guessing it will freeflow when the non-taped side is up.

Why not just buy a new, old double hose reg. Aqualung is apparently producing them again.

flots.

you could also put an extension on the camera mount so that it is beyond your mouth and therefore the bubbles would be behind the camera when you are horizontal.

Why not just buy a new, old double hose reg. Aqualung is apparently producing them again.

flots.

If you mean the ill-fated mistral of a few years back, do not under any circumstance buy one of those. The idea of trying an authentic double hose reg for video shooting is a great one, though. The place to start is vintagedoublehose.com. There you'll get all sorts of information and you can buy the real thing.

If you mean the ill-fated mistral of a few years back, do not under any circumstance buy one of those. The idea of trying an authentic double hose reg for video shooting is a great one, though. The place to start is vintagedoublehose.com. There you'll get all sorts of information and you can buy the real thing.

Amen, that thing was poorly designed at best, on the other hand a fully modified/upgraded DA or RAM when used properly is as good as most anything on the market.

..snip..

What do you think?

This was discussed in the DIY section a few years back. Various people were trying a loop of bicycle inner tube from one exhaust vent, round the back of the neck and to the other vent. Cut a couple of big holes at the back and smaller ones along the sides - to avoid siphon effect that would cause free flow and allow easier venting when you're on your back. This looks a bit geeky but will divert the bubbles. A search in the DIY section for inner tube should turn up the original thread.

Edit: It seems that thread was a casualty of the famous hard drive crash and can no longer be found.....

well if we are going to go down the path of recommending new gear, why not a CCR? :D

How about a personal submarine? :D It's a matter of money. A double hose is a few hundred dollars, CCR is thousands plus the training.

well if we are going to go down the path of recommending new gear, why not a CCR? :D

That's an order of magnitude plus in difference. Besides the OP was already suggesting emulation of a double hose regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom