Is this IT?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

people are talking about IT..... waiting to get their hands on it to pull it apart and have a play

Here is an article

DEMA 2007 - Poseideon Discovery (CIS MKVI) - Rebreather World

In this article there are 2 Videos, one with Richard Pyle the other with Bill Stone.

Some interesting concepts and because of the "ground breaking" concepts.

It could be very good or it could go south, big time.

There is a unit heading down under and as my wife has alluded to, we will be having a look.

Is it what? I do not understand the question/intent.

I saw it at DEMA last year, looked small and there is a lot thought that went in it. I like some of the ideas, but they have to be used in practice to convince a very critical audience of current RB divers. On the other hand, it is targeted at the rec diving segment and as such could be a huge success.

The jury is still out...

Is it what? I do not understand the question/intent.

The unit that will bring rebreathers to the masses. Recreational friendly and safe.

Is it the "breakthrough" in rebreathers that people have been waiting for?

The unit that will bring rebreathers to the masses. Recreational friendly and safe.

If the safety features hold up and there is ample training for the masses, if the price is right and support is readily available, I think it could work. There are really some very novel ways of doing things on that unit. I like the principle of continuous self calibration. That sort of innovation is what is needed in the RB scene.

I talked with Poseidon at length and was pretty impressed with their unit. IF their automatic safety checks hold true, it would be a wonderful addition to the re-breather market, and would actually reduce training considerably. The O2 sensors are continually calibrated and that's a real plus. I want to try one out. :)

Personally, I think the rebreather for the masses already exists... pick any production manual injection rebreather (KiSS, rEVO, Pelagian, Copis meg) and you have recreational friendly and safe (1 known fatality between them).

It seems to me that electronic injection rebreathers are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist on manual rebreathers. It's the automated systems that have nearly all the fatalities associated with them (150ish fatalities) and those fatalities are often what causes people to fear rebreathers of all kinds, ironically leading them to gravitate toward automation because manual injection sounds scary even though it's very streight forward to learn and has an impressive track record.

if the Poseideon Discovery proves to be evan just as safe as manual systems, even that would be a big step forward for eCCR's. there are lots of viable reasons to go with an eCCR but safety is not one of them, IMHO.

Personally, I think the rebreather for the masses already exists... pick any production manual injection rebreather (KiSS, rEVO, Pelagian, Copis meg) and you have recreational friendly and safe (1 known fatality between them).

It seems to me that electronic injection rebreathers are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist on manual rebreathers. It's the automated systems that have nearly all the fatalities associated with them (150ish fatalities) and those fatalities are often what causes people to fear rebreathers of all kinds, ironically leading them to gravitate toward automation because manual injection sounds scary even though it's very streight forward to learn and has an impressive track record.

if the Poseideon Discovery proves to be evan just as safe as manual systems, even that would be a big step forward for eCCR's. there are lots of viable reasons to go with an eCCR but safety is not one of them, IMHO.

Even though I don't entirely disagree with you, the Mark VI appears to fall into an entirely different category. Yes, it is electronic, but it is my understanding that it is intended to be a dummy-proof electronic rebreather exclusively for recreational purposes. It appears like the design incorporates more of a green light / red light approach to diving and doesn't even incorporate mannual gas addition buttons. Most modern electronic rebreathers rely on the diver's quick action / judgement to determine the best way to resolve any problems (i.e., diluent flush, manual gas addition, semi-closed operation, bailout, etc.), but it appears that at any sign of inproper operation, the Mark VI will immediately ask you to bail-out to onboard oc mode via the BOV and terminate the dive, without giving you other options - This simplified approach, especially in conjunction with the cartridged scrubber and the self calibrating sensor(s), appears to have the most potential in making the mainstream diver feel comfortable with rebreathers and making them more generally acceptable.

However, the questions still remains, will they be able to pull it off?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom