Is this good gear/a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

St.jimmy

Registered
Reaction score
I went down to sdi scuba in huntsville al, and made out "dream" equipment package, with 10 percentt off the retail price, which follows.

Atmos lx bcd $485.96
AT 400 Pro Reg 404.96
Gyro Octo 125.96
atmos ai with compass and qd 719.96
roller duffel free
nitrox class and crew pack free
tax:138.95
total:1935.77
the BCD and computer are NOT changing, but all else can. is this any good?

I would keep looking around before you spend that kind of money,dump the console computer for a simple wrist unit,never heard of that regulator.

I went down to SDI scuba in Huntsville AL, and made out "dream" equipment package, with 10 percent off the retail price, which follows.

Atmos lx bcd $485.96
AT 400 Pro Reg 404.96
Gyro Octo 125.96
atmos ai with compass and qd 719.96
roller duffel free
nitrox class and crew pack free
tax:138.95
total:1935.77
the BCD and computer are NOT changing, but all else can. is this any good?

I think you will be quite happy with the computer. My wife, daughter and I each use one.

I use the predecessor to your BC. I wish the LX had come out 1 year sooner. I like the fact that you weight pouches slide in horizontally instead of vertically.

I am not familiar with the octopus or the regulator.

I wouldn't get in the water with any of that gear, obvious that your dreams and mine are much different.

Look at some other real gear before you jump into a mistake like most of us did the first time around. Dont, I repeat, Dont go with one brand because you want to match. Not every brand is good at making everything.

Get a good wrist computer or better yet a wrist bottom timer and a good spg. thats all a person needs. Avoid jacketed BCD's and dont get regs that knowone has heard of.

Here is my second first setup.

OMS 32lb wing, FredT 9lb plate, Hog harness, FredT single tank adapter. Total cost under about $400

Scubapro MK17/S600 with Air 2 octo/inflater (price would be less if you use conventional R190 octo. Price about $450

Deep sea supply bungee wrist mount with SK7 compass about $90
Deep Sea supply bungee wrist mount with OMS bottom timer about $220

Dive rite 1.5 inch Brass SPG with 28" hose about $99

Nitrox class $80

Akona roller duffel $119 or go with a rubbermaid tub for $5

Thats everything you were looking at but better for under $1500 plus shipping or tax or whatever. SO I suggest you take a second look at those items that are "not" changing.

I wouldn't get in the water with any of that gear, obvious that your dreams and mine are much different.

Look at some other real gear before you jump into a mistake like most of us did the first time around. Dont, I repeat, Dont go with one brand because you want to match. Not every brand is good at making everything.

Get a good wrist computer or better yet a wrist bottom timer and a good spg. thats all a person needs. Avoid jacketed BCD's and dont get regs that knowone has heard of.

Here is my second first setup.

OMS 32lb wing, FredT 9lb plate, Hog harness, FredT single tank adapter. Total cost under about $400

Scubapro MK17/S600 with Air 2 octo/inflater (price would be less if you use conventional R190 octo. Price about $450

Deep sea supply bungee wrist mount with SK7 compass about $90
Deep Sea supply bungee wrist mount with OMS bottom timer about $220

Dive rite 1.5 inch Brass SPG with 28" hose about $99

Nitrox class $80

Akona roller duffel $119 or go with a rubbermaid tub for $5

Thats everything you were looking at but better for under $1500 plus shipping or tax or whatever. SO I suggest you take a second look at those items that are "not" changing.

Ditto,

It's good you asked here. I got my first set-up the right way and haven't regretted it. I followed the recommendations given on Scubaboard about my equipment and saved a lot of $$.

Ok if it helps to sway you I owned that aeris console and returned it for a suunto cobra which I eventually owned 3 of and sold my first and now use that as backup and rely on a simple cheap SPG and bottom timer on bungee mount. The cobra is more user friendly, cheaper, and the RBGM is good for most recreational divers. The bottom timer and spg is brainless to use and almost 100% reliable.

I have seen and used aeris gear, I dont like it and dont know of anyone who prefers it over say dive rite, OMS, or scubapro. Save your money and your mind and go with good gear and if you shop around you could get it even cheaper than I did I am sure.

Leisure pro and scubatoys both have sales going on right now that will save you money on a BP/W, compass, bottom timer and regs. but stay away from Cressi, aeris, and mares. Contact tobin at deep sea supply for the Real deal.

If it's the gear you want, that will do what you want and for a price you're willing to pay...then go for it.

Personally, I don't think I'd get any of that gear for myself. But my goals and yours probably differ greatly.

If the BCD and computer aren't changing, than is all you're really asking about is the regs. Like others, I haven't heard of them or used them so I can't say.

But to ask for input as to weather the gear is good when you've already made up your mind doesn't sound so much like you're asking for suggestions, but that you're looking for confirmation of your decision.

If it'll work for you...it's fine gear.

Shane

IMO jimmy, keep looking...........GEAUX TIGERS......

Depends on what kind of diving you plan on doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom