is this common sense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simong6

Registered
Reaction score
Hi as mentioned in my intro post, i am currnetly learning on the PADI Open Water Diver course, i have just started my theory and have set a target of 1st feb to have it complete.

I will be looking at purchacing most of my equipment around feb too, and this question may be redundant, but......

should i buy a cheaper BCD, or is it worth spending the extra cash and buying a more expensive one that will see me through

My first question would be, "See you through what???"

If you're looking for something just for the confined water work, consider the possibility of renting.

The major factors regarding the purchase of a B/C will be your budgetary constraints, if any, and the type and frequency of diving you will be doing. Start there and move forward.

Be prepared to be bombarded with a barrage of "get a BP/Wing" responses.

the Kraken

simong6:
......should i buy a cheaper BCD, or is it worth spending the extra cash and buying a more expensive one that will see me through

I waited to buy mine so I would know what I wanted. Since it is going to be with you for a long time, it's best to get the right one for you and your type of diving.

Rent, Rent, Rent! Try what your instructor has, try items from different shops if possible, and find what works well for you.

Every one of us out here has an opinion and an idea of what works for us - but we are not you. When you have experienced some of the differences in equipment of all kinds, then you can make reasonable decisions on equipment, including a BC.

garyfotodiver:
Rent, Rent, Rent! Try what your instructor has, try items from different shops if possible, and find what works well for you.

Every one of us out here has an opinion and an idea of what works for us - but we are not you. When you have experienced some of the differences in equipment of all kinds, then you can make reasonable decisions on equipment, including a BC.

Agreed.. Rent, rent, test test , Buy...anything you buy now will be replaced in a few months, assuming you like diving and dive more than 3 to 5 times a year.

Been there... done that... and got lots of E-bay fees....:wink:

simong6:
should i buy a cheaper BCD, or is it worth spending the extra cash and buying a more expensive one that will see me through

Buy the best that you can afford!

If your store will let you try out different gear, then that's great. But I would not recommend the rental route...

And remember that the best for you is not always the most expensive.

simong6:

If you're not going to be doing alot of diving then renting may not be a bad idea. Also, loaners from your local dive shop. They may do that hoping to get you to buy one.

If you do alot of diving you will inevitably get hooked up with regular dive buddies. Borrow equipment and try it out. Get their opinions.

Once you know what you want, buy the best you can afford! Gee, I have a nice used bc I'll sell you, I switched to a bp/wing.

Oh yeah that reminds me, get a BP/Wing! eyebrow

I bought a cheap used BC on eBay as soon as I started diving regularly. A year later, I sold it and was diving what I thought was the right system for me. Two years later, I sold that and finally got what I use now. Renting at the beginning could have saved me some of the repurchasing, but the truth is that I didn't know what worked for me until I had developed enough skill to tell the difference.

Try both a jacket and back inflate style, they feel very different and you'll want to see which feels best for you. Try a BackPlate and wing if you can as well, though these are harder to find for rent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom