Is this backplate acceptable for Hogarthian Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If entanglement hazards are such a concern, it seems like the LAST thing somebody would want is less streamlined gear.

As applied to diving in caves, sure. But I would seek advice from Public Safety Divers if that is the ultimate application.

I guess I don't understand - my bad! :<( While actually using the system in a real world environment, the only thing that seems to get hung up on anything (again, our experiences only - we are not cave divers although we do occasionally work in overhead environments) the only things that have gotten hung up are our light canisters and sling tanks, both of which protrude out further than the backplate "wings" and "D" rings. The same thing also happens with the accepted DIR rigging using standard (OMS, DiveRite, etc) backplates and one piece webbing harness and crotch strap. So far, at least in our experience (again we are not cave divers)this problem has not been caused by either the "wings" or welded "D" rings. Of course testing and experience continues to grow each and every time we "get wet". Since there doesn't appear to be a difference in the entanglement potential (at least in our experiences) I don't understand why one is acceptable and the other isn't.
Thanks,
George

Did I miss the memo about Hogarthian and DIR configurations being synonymous?

I believe the answer to the original poster's question can be found in the title of this forum "Hogarthian Diving: Minimalist diving philosophies discussed." Now apply that to the piece of kit in question... is it minimalist?

Minimalist compared to what? When I started diving, we used less equipment than anyone diving Hog. With the exception of the regulator hoses, we were just as streamlined. We had 1 regulator, no bcd, no SPG, wetsuit only. Although we did have double steel LP tanks. That certainly doesn't mean it was better or safer. We all know without any argument that it wasn't. But is was definitely minimalist. To me minimalist means take only the equipment needed to do the mission correctly and safely. Keep it as streamlined as possible. The only true goal of any mission is to come back alive and unharmed. Even Halycon (which I agree makes good gear) offers a SCC rebreather. Compared to OC, it certainly isn't minimalist, but for certain dives, it is needed and thus used as the minimal gear for THAT dive. What about diver's with handicaps? If they need a piece of gear modified so that they can dive, that modification is then part of the minimum equipment they require to dive safely. All our gear has evolved from very primitive to what we have today. I could still dive with the gear I used in the 60's and do a Doria dive, but anyone with any common sense would know how stupid that would be. Of course I would use modern gear if I were to do it today. The question is, if gear is evolving, why not check it out. Put it through it's paces. It it works as needed, accept it. If it doesn't, throw it away, or better yet, give constructive criticism. But first, don't you have to actually examine and test the item? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how DIR evolved? And shouldn't it continue to evolve as equipment evolves? The item in question works very similar to the backplates we used in the 60's. Simple and adjustable. Modern backplates are simple and not adjustable on the fly. It all comes down to one thing - the adjustability. Is that a dangerous thing? Or can it be helpful, especially if you are wearing a piece of equipment for hours. If it can make things more comfortable, then wouldn't that add to the safety?
Thanks,
George

To me minimalist means take only the equipment needed to do the mission correctly and safely. Keep it as streamlined as possible.
If you don´t use(or don´t need to use) the extra d-rings the rig isn´t "as streamlined as possible".

You mentioned adjustability. I have a one-piece harness, when I switch to a wetsuit I just pull at the waist belt to "tighten it" or loosen it when I go back, no need for tri-glides or buckles...

This setup would add "stuff" without any added benefit to my diving, that is "my truth"...

ymmv

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom