Is this backplate acceptable for Hogarthian Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Standingbear56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Everyone,
I would like to know if the Pterodactyl backplate by Critical Aspect is acceptable for Hog diving. I was asked this by a student of mine, and I did not know the answer, so I'm presenting it here. The Pterodactyl appears to meet your criteria of SS backplate with a single webbing harness with no failure points. Yes, the harness is adjustable with this system, but with the D rings on the waist, it will not come off even if unbuckled. If this is a true concern, one can always use two buckles.
Thank you in advance for your input.
George
PADI MSDT

No crotch strap.

I can't answer your question, so ignore this post if it isn't helpful...

I would ask what makes this piece of gear different from what you may be accustomed to? What problem is it trying to solve over a standard backplate, and how serious of a problem was it in the first place? Basically, is it a gimmick, or an honest improvement on an existing design? Does it introduce any additional problems, and does it address an existing shortcoming of existing gear?

The Ptero. seems to be created much in the image of the NE wrecker philosophy...tough enough to stand multiple Doria and Sub trips, bigger is better philosophy.

I kind of like that look at times, but I am not crazy about the extra doo-dads here and there. In the olden days of the Doria it was acceptable to have as much stuff on you as possible...because you waz werkin'. Werking men don't need to be pretty. I am drifting off topic, but gear that didn't simply the process impeded efficacy of swimming, and certainly penetration. I hated swimming after folks clodded by extra crap hanging on them.

X

Initial ones didn't but current ones apparently do come with a 2 inch crotch strap.

Do they still have the welded d-rings on them? Not sure if that's Hog or not.

It looks like simplicitity has been thrown out the window. What possible problem could that BP solve? The excessive width is a liability because it increases the chances of getting stuck. The fact that the harness slides at the hips isn't necessary, as you don't need your harness to be tight and you should never have have much trouble getting in and out of it. Should you ever have to undo the buckle in the water, one end could probably slip out and create a real CF. The solution to that is more D-rings? Having 8 D-rings, not counting the crotch strap, certainly can't be Hogarthian.

It is my understanding that the newer models have addressed the crotch strap problem - it now has a 2" crotch strap. The side "wings" don't stick out at all on myself (and I can only speak for myself with this fact) and the "D" rings can take the place of the hip "D" rings. Either way, my sling tank protrudes much further out than the wings, as does my light canister. The other "D" rings can be removed or added as one seems fit, OR you can just use a regular piece of webbing as you all do. I know that in public safety diving (which I am involved in) the ability to make adjustments on the fly can be critical. One may have to switch between a warmwater shortie into a full drysuit when minutes count. Also if using a wetsuit, wouldn't the ability to adjust for suit compression be important.
Please understand, I am only asking this info so that I can gain a better understanding for myself so that I can give correct information if asked. It is not my intention to challange anyone's style or techniques. Many of my students are PSD's and deal with 0 vis and entanglement hazards most of the time. Thus Hogarthian/DIR which deals directly with such conditions is the foundation of most of our systems. The biggest complaint is the lack of adjustability on the fly, which to us is a critical factor.
Again, I thank you for your time and expertise.
George

You should probably post this in the PSD forum then and get input from other PSD divers. I can tell you that it is not Hogarthian or DIR but I can't tell you if it would work well for your diving, I'm just a cave diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom