is this a jellyfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shugar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
about 4-8" long hollow and translucent... literally like a discarded rubber (but there were literally hundreds yesterday so i highly doubt a ship containing used rubbers sank around the bend)

would have confirmed its jellyfish-ness BUT it's not soft and squishy...it's hard (didn't touch it as was not wearing gloves, but nudged it couple times with my strobe arm and it was hard)

seems it's covered in cilia-like things...

appreciate input - btw, this was anilao philippines

IMG_0549.jpg

Jag

My bet is an egg mass.
Rick

Egg mass is a good guess, but I would guess it is a solitary salp. Try doing a search for Pyrosoma atlanticum. Kind of similar, like a used condom.

Try a whole $hit load of them drifting along.... There were a lot of them maybe 1 or 2 per meter at the most... drifting thru as we were diving

Try a whole $hit load of them drifting along.... There were a lot of them maybe 1 or 2 per meter at the most... drifting thru as we were diving

Had a similar experience in Bonaire on year with salps. The water was thick with them. At night they kept bumping into you (or you into them) or the long ones wrapping around you hoses or neck. Yeech!

Sue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom