Curacao trip report, photos, and review of vendors 6/28 through 7/5/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I

idocsteve

This thread journals my weeklong trip to the island of Curacao with my girlfriend and details our diving experiences as well as several activities and discoveries we made about the island.

The following vendors were used for this trip and my reviews are included.

* Caradonna Dive Adventures (Travel Agent)
* Ocean Encounters West
* All West Apartments
* Curacao Sunshine Sol Restaurant
* Several other restaurants are given a brief mention

When I first started planning this trip we were headed to Bonaire, and I discovered that several members of ScubaBoard were headed there the same week I was, so I started making plans to join the group, and got in touch with Donna from Caradonna Dive Adventures who was the Travel Agent for that trip. After I booked the trip, my daughter told me that her High School graduation was the Sunday I was leaving, and Donna tried to reschedule the trip, and it looked like it was still a "go", until Continental Airlines later canceled the flight and there was no other way to get to Bonaire during that time period. Donna gave me several more options, one of which was Curacao which she suggested would be a good alternate. Turns out it was, if not better than Bonaire might have been. I can't say enough about Donna and the time and effort she put into changing around our plans and making the trip a success. She always got right back to me (or as soon as she got the requested info from the vendor in question); she was reliable, she got us where we needed to go, and most importantly, back home again!

Give Donna an opportunity to help you out with your next dive vacation before going at it alone. donna@caradonna.com

We stayed at All West Apartments on the Northwest side of the island in the town of Westpunt, because I read that more remote area of the island has the best diving, and this was confirmed numerous times during my trip by other divers as well as the locals. Originally Donna had booked us at Breezes which is an all inclusive resort including food and activities, which was roughly equivalent of where the ScubaBoard group was staying on Bonaire, but we were looking for something more quiet and more suited for a lot of diving. I found All West Apartments after researching alternates, it seemed to fit our needs and Donna gladly made the change for us.

..:: All West Apartments & Diving, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles ::..

We were met at the airport by a fellow holding an All West sign, I waved, he threw me a set of keys and said "We go to market now". No driver's license check, no insurance liability waivers, just "off to the market" to get food. He waited outside while we walked the aisles stocking up on food for the week, figuring we'd catch breakfast and most lunches in the room and find restaurants to eat out. We stocked up on sandwich meat and bread, chips, drinks, granola bars, fruit, and this stuff called "Danio" which is probably an international version of Dannon Yogurt only it comes in large containers as compared to those tiny 6 oz ones, and it tastes amazing. If you like yogurt, get yourself a couple of these.

DAN10DV02.jpg

We were in the largest unit with a king size bed, kitchen, a second room which doubled as a living room or second bedroom. Both rooms open with sliding doors to a large patio with a beautiful view of the bay. There's a full kitchen which is ideal if you don't want to be eating out all the time. The apartment was spacious, reasonably clean and updated, but don't expect to see a maid all week, there's no on site restaurant and no "front desk". My girlfriend pointed out that the resort next to the Ocean Encounters West (OEW) dive shop called Lodge Kura Hulanda and Beach Club might have been more her speed, she likes to ask lots of questions and there is a front desk "concierge", a pool, and several restaurants and a bar, so it's more of a resort than a place to hang your hat. I did a quick price check and it appears that it is only about $250 total additional for the week for their smallest unit but that one doesn't have a kitchen and it's only one room (as far as I can tell). It's a brief walk from there to the dive shop where you can get tanks for shore diving. OEW and the Lodge are about a 2 minute drive from All West Apartments.

All West has a dive room which is locked with 2 grated metal doors, one faces the parking lot for easy gear loading and unloading, the other faces the back of the building for easy access to the house reef. We were given the key to the dive room along with the room key and had unlimited 24 hour access to tanks. They have a beautiful reef right outside the apartments and that was our first dive. I got faked out because I didn't realize how far the swim out was and we spent 20 minutes or so diving in the bay and close to shore which was "nice" but I was thinking "damn I thought the diving would be better". Then I got a bit smarter and we swam out..until we hit the reef which was the nicest diving I've done since Cozumel. The rest of the dives on the trip were at least as good...and most of them feature a gradual slope that allows you to choose any depth and still see great stuff, so you can maximize your gas and get bottom times approaching an hour or more.

My only "complaints" if you want to even call them that, about All West is that the 2 bedrooms have great A/C but the kitchen, hall, and bathroom have no AC so you gotta keep the room doors closed and it's really hot in the non AC rooms. Also while we didn't experience any crime, there was a suggestion that it was possible and to secure items in the safe when not there. Other resorts have gated entrys and security. I couldn't fit my laptop in the safe so I placed it between two towels on a shelf. One morning I was eating cereal while waiting for my girlfriend to pack up her stuff for the dive, I was rushing her, and before I could stop her she reached up to grab the towels. I tried to yell "No!" with a mouthful of Frosted Flakes, but I was too late and the towels and laptop came crashing down, shattering the laptop screen. Not a huge loss because the laptop was 4 years old, not running all that fast, hardly any hard drive space left, and I just bought a new one for about $500 after $100 off as a "trade in" for the old one.

OEW has a close affiliation to All West Apartments, at least one dive shop employee runs what you might loosely call the "office" at All West, and as I said that's the closest thing to a concierge desk that you'll find over there, not that you really need it. You've got the keys to the place and the tanks, if you don't mind washing your own dishes or letting them pile up in the sink all week, and you can change your own sheets, then it's all good. During the week the refrigerator was making a loud hum so I gave it a good shake (don't ask me why), and the frige got quiet but it also stopped working. When they got someone in there to look at it, turns out I pulled the plug out of the wall. They did the dishes while they were there so that might be a way to get them washed if you use a whole bunch.

All West has their own rental cars for a discounted rate over typical Curacao rental cars from various agencies on the island. They're Nissan pickup trucks and those things are tough! Twice I backed into stuff, once a building and another time a telephone pole (both times at a fairly good clip) and there wasn't a scratch or dent that I could see. During the week I put some gas in the truck and 5 minutes out of town the truck started to hesitate and misfire. I headed back to the station, where it was determined that I had overlooked the small sticker on the inside of the gas cap that said "Diesel". Long story short, I contacted Andreas who works in the dive shop (he was my girlfriend's AOW instructor), he also works at the Apartments and ultimately he had the tank drained and partially refilled, and he billed me $17.50 for the refill. I paid it but I still think there's some shared blame here. When you toss the keys to the driver, how about letting them know it's diesel? I never thought to bend down and look inside the cap to check the type of fuel, after speaking to Andreas I was left with the impression that I was the first tourist in the entire history of Curacao to put the wrong fuel in a rental car.

Check out the diesel sticker inside the cap

66yzuu.jpg

Although we had originally planned on doing a lot of shore diving, in the end I did a total of 19 dives, my girlfriend did 16 dives, and of my dives, 7 were shore and the other 12 were boat. The shore dives included Carpile, Playa Lagun (night dive), Playa kalki aka Alice in Wonderland Reef (off of OEW dive shop pier), All West House reef (really an extension of the Alice in Wonderland reef), and Porto Marie (aka "The Valley"). That last one is a unique 'double reef system' with a valley in between and is a nice change from the others that to me, get somewhat similar after a while. I did the All West house reef 3x, once as an orientation dive, once solo and once more for my girlfriend's AOW night dive requirement.

Large Green Moray at about 25 feet at Porto Marie

2evg274.jpg

Creepy looking Neptune Statue at the All West Apartments house reef at night

33emtm1.jpg

Many of the reefs have corals that look like the one in the following picture, and Mushroom Forest is filled with them. At times I felt like I was swimming through a cartoon.

v46luv.jpg

Here's why I would suggest that anyone going to Curacao consider doing more boat diving than shore diving:

1- Curacao is a rather large island and the dive spots are spread apart. On the map they look close but in fact you've got to head inland, usually back to the main road, then travel a bit, find the correct side road and drive back down to the beach and those "off roads" are usually 20 minutes or so on rough paved or even dirt roads. It takes a lot of time to get to them, and worse yet, the roads are poorly marked if at all and the dive sites are often not even labeled anywhere. So it's a lot of hit and miss, and a lot of wasted time making wrong turns and unintended detours. After a week of driving all over the island I don't think I'd have a problem, but what good is that NOW?

2- Shore dives are WORK. And they can be tough on your gear which gets dragged over rocks, not to mention sand in and around your regs and gauges and photo equipment. In many cases it's a long walk down a lot of stairs, out over a rough rocky surf, and a 10-15 minute or longer swim out to the reef (and back). The boat? Hop in, set up your gear, enjoy the 10 minute to half hour ride out, get a nice briefing and a guided dive to see the best spots of the reef, and relax! If I did more shore dives I'd have been literally exhausted...especially since my girlfriend cannot carry her gear long distances so I had to make 2 trips on most of the shore dives (sometimes up and down flights of steps) or carry her gear while transporting my own on my back.

3- Several of the boat dives cannot be reached from shore and those are the BEST...the ones written up in the dive magazines..including Watamula, Mushroom Forest, Hells Corner, etc. OEW has a regular schedule but they're flexible if the divers are ok with it and you might be able to request a special trip. Their schedule is already filled with the best dive spots so why even bother.

As part of our boat diving package through Ocean Encounters we booked the one day trip to Klein Curacao, which is an "upgrade" and we had to drive to the southeast part of the island to catch the boat, which was a large catamaran that holds 60 people. Since we had made the drive earlier in the week we had no problem but if it was the first time attempting the journey we might have run into a problem finding the place. There were 40 people on our trip, about 10 of them being divers. The trip was one of the highlights of our vacation and I highly recommend it. During the day trip you are treated to drinks (alcoholic and non), and a mid day barbeque by the highly experienced staff who have obviously done this before, and the diving is quite a bit different from that on the island with a very steep vertical wall topography interspersed with valleys, with the sand on top that gives the impression you are flying over a snow capped mountain.

Vertical wall topography at Klein Curacao as well as some reef inhabitants

5ltn9d.jpg

x4npmp.jpg

There were several turtles above the sand in the shallows at the island

aep6pg.jpg

Spotted Moray at Klein Curacao

314p9b8.jpg

On the day we did the Island trip, we also did the "Carpile" outside of Breezes and thanks to Suzy and another fellow at the Dive Bus, I got a great predive briefing for the site. I asked if they had any availability so I could dive with them on the one day I had free but they were booked. Nice folks, I recommend them if you're looking for guided shore dives. Definitely the way to avoid getting lost and finding the best reefs and the best places to look for stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spotted Drum at Carpile

orj9kg.jpg

I did 5 2 tank boat dives with OEW and my girlfriend decided to get her AOW certification with Andreas who posts on this board under Andreas Curacao. I suggest you read his back posts for loads of useful information about diving in Curacao. The Dive Op is managed by a guy named Brian. He and his staff are all professional, experienced, and well organized. They got us to the dive sites and back with no problems, and each dive had a thorough briefing and was guided by an experienced divemaster and usually another on the tail. I had a problem with my tank sliding out of my new Seaquest Balance BCD on more than one occasion, and one of the divemasters pointed out that my BCD strap was lacking a rubber "foot" (my words) that give a better attachment, and he gave me one at N/C. Nice. Problem solved!

I had wanted to see the "Blue Room" which was on my "must do" list but it's only done as a surface interval snorkel or as a separate snorkel trip. The dive boat schedule didn't allow for it as a surface interval so we did the snorkel trip one afternoon and I asked if I could bring my 19 cf pony. I got the ok, and the following pic is me on a snorkel trip using my 19 cf pony to check out the bottom. It lasted me about 15 minutes or so at about 20-25 feet. I became the "pony bottle" guy and lots of people asked me questions about my extra tank which apparently no one ever brings along. As a Solo diver, I feel better with the extra gas, 3 regulators, redundant cutting supplies, and audio and visual signal devices, and it's not much trouble to carry it onboard the plane.

xe38n9.jpg

24c9slt.jpg

About the only complaint (more of a disappointment) with OEW was on one dive, called "Elvin's Plane Wreck". It's the broken down remains of an intentionally sunk airliner and from what I understand there was a good chunk of fuselage and a cockpit to check out and possibly swim through. We missed the wreck because our large group drifted right over it before we all descended. I was told that happens perhaps one out of 20 dives and the wreck isn't "all that great anyway". I cannot help but think "why don't they drop the group sooner to avoid the occasional miss due to a delay getting to depth" and the excuse of it "not being all that great" just doesn't sit all that well with me, but like I said if that's the worst I can say about them, then that's pretty damn good. I would never dive with them again, but only because the world is a big place, and other than places within an easy drive of my home, I'm not a "repeat" sort of guy to these exotic distant destinations. There's just way too many places to go. But if you're headed to Curacao, check out the West end (Westpunt) and OEW. They take you to all the top sites and they do it in style. Their sites and schedule are listed on their site

..:: Ocean Encounters West Curacao ::..

Andreas was professional and thorough for the 2-3 day 5 dive AOW course my girlfriend took. He has an accent (German I think) and he said a few things that quickly became "Andreas phrases". My girlfriend misread something in the PADI book about needing to add 5 more lbs for steel than aluminum tanks, and he said "That's a bunch of crap Terri". To clarify, he didn't say it in a disparaging or insulting way to her, he was saying that "if the book said that, it's wrong". Turns out she misquoted the book so the PADI AOW manual does not need to be re-edited at this time. Point being that the way he said it (he's rather passionate about his instruction), along with the accent.. it was hilarious. It sounded like "Thots a boonch of Crop Terra!". For most of the rest of the trip I'd think of silly questions to ask her so when she answered me, I would respond with "Thots a boonch of Crop Terra". We laughed so hard at times that we were giddy. The other Andreas saying was when we jumped into the water and were hanging at the surface and Andreas had opened his wetsuit and was filling it with seawater, and I said "Andreas you might not want to do that, you might be filling your suit with my piss". He said "That's just nasty". It came out "Thots joost Nastay!". For most of the rest of the trip..you guessed it..."Thots joost Nastay!" came up in just about every other conversation we had and I don't think we're even close to being done getting some mileage out of that one. My girlfriend noticed that Andreas used the "facilities" of the shop after the dive. Andreas if you read this, please confirm that you are one of the few divers who in fact, does not piss in his wetsuit and if not, why not? Waiting until you get back to the dive shop is "joost a boonch of crop!". LOL. He is a great instructor and my girlfriend felt much more comfortable in the water after working with him over the course of 2-3 days.

One day I did a solo dive. I'm certified for Solo diving but they didn't allow it off the dive shop pier. Nice thing about All West is no one is checking you in or out, you're on your own. Saw this guy on the reef and it freaked me out a bit. Yes, it was dead. I figured it to be about a half a meter in length. The picture is a bit blurred because my housing was fogged but I promise you it's legit.

1okp5w.jpg

We had the pleasure of meeting Curacao Sunshine who also posts here on ScubaBoard under Curacao Sunshine. She has a nice restaurant which is conveniently located between All West Apartments and the Dive Shop. She sat with us and chatted and we went through our map and asked a whole bunch of questions about where things were and if they were worth doing. She told us everything she needed to know, shes a personable and friendly woman and if you go to Curacao make sure you stop by her place and contact her on ScubaBoard before you go because she'll provide you with a detailed series of notes about the island and how to find stuff you'd never know was there. Try the pizza with everything on it and the Caesar Salad.

Curacao Sunshine - Rental Property on the Island of Curacao

American Airlines got us to Curacao and back, and the air travel could not have been smoother. Planes were on time if not early, there were no delays or surprises except when we got back to JFK airport at about midnight...for some reason it took almost a half hour for the luggage to show up on the belt. But if that's the worst that I can say about it, then hey that's not too bad. Unlike Delta who suffers from customer service issues up the gazoo. I would never fly with Delta if there was an alternate choice to my destination for reasons I won't go into here. I picked up a mini digital luggage scale on my last trip after we got to Florida to avoid future "airport terminal luggage shuffles" to stay under the 50lb limit which is tricky with dive gear. If you travel with gear, pick one up. It's worth the $20 bucks or so considering that overweight baggage fees can be upwards of $100 plus the inconvenience and stress of trying to rearrange everything at the last minute in the terminal.

One anecdotal story...several years ago on another dive trip I forgot to remove my BCD knife from it's hose mounted sheath on my regulator which I carry on. They picked it up on the security scanner, called over a supervisor, they were nice about it but they strip searched me with an anal probe and took away my knife and interrogated me for 9 hours. Ok, they didn't do all that but they did confiscate my knife and offered an unneeded apology. This time around we had a second set of gear for my girlfriend, she had a hose mounted BCD knife which we forgot about. They didn't pick it up on either security screening, at Curacao or at Miami (we had to reclaim bags for customs and go through security twice). While I'm glad I didn't lose the knife or get interrogated, it doesn't leave me feeling all that good about our airport security that I walked onboard with a 3 inch dive knife in my carry on bag, twice.

Another anecdotal story...my girlfriend was "activities director" when it came to anything "non diving" related. We spent the bulk of the vacation either getting gear ready, going out on the dive boat, shore diving, cleaning and storing gear, and taking a quick rest after diving, which left little time for anything else but we did manage to hit a few restaurants in town, tour two national parks and my girlfriend thought I'd get a kick out of the legal brothel in town. We made it to the brothel with about an hour to spare before our flight. She couldn't get in because there's only one "ladies night" but she watched from the entrance as I walked around what was basically a "motor inn" with 100s of rooms...some of the doors were open, and I walked up to each one and there she was on the bed, ready to wave me in for countless pleasures. I have never been to such a place and I found it rather entertaining even though the quality of the women left something to be desired. No, I didn't "partake" I only wandered around to about a dozen rooms to sample the merchandise with my EYES only.

Don't miss Christoffel National Park where you can climb to the peak of the mountain (bring plenty of cold water for the one hour trip to the top) which is the highest part of the island with breathtaking views, and the park of Shete Boca which gives a nice view of the surf on the North side as well as having a cave and a natural bridge. These two parks will make a nice final day on the island when you're offgassing all that Nitrogen. Give yourself at least one night in the town of Willemstad to sample a restaurant and walk around a bit. Make sure you cross the floating pedestrian pontoon bridge.

The peak of the mountain. This is a self portrait, my girlfriend made it halfway up.

213eu0n.jpg

Other places we ate and recommend:

Daniels: Right on the main road close to town but closer to the West End than the "in town" restaurants with a nice atmosphere.

Iguana Cafe: Just off the pedestrian floating bridge in downtown Willemstad. Nice view of the water and the bridge, food was good.

Restaurant at the "Lodge" described earlier. Nice view of the bay and the reef off the dive shop. The breakfast menu / buffet looked outstanding but we never made it due to the dive schedule. They have a second smaller "snack bar" with waitress service down a set of steps adjacent to the dive shop also overlooking the bay, good for a faster meal, although "fast" in Curacao is "slow" in the US.

Moon Restaurant: Beautiful outside terrace with pool and views of the surf. Hard to find and from the outside it looks like an abandoned storefront. The sign was hand drawn in the shape of a moon on the side of the building. We found several places look like this. No big sign, looks like you're "nowhere", then you walk in a bit and viola!

Moon restaurant

spghsg.jpg

Mambo Beach: In between Breezes and Lions Resort. A bit hard to find, the parking lot looks like a deserted field but after you park walk towards the water and you'll be at a nice beach with a restaurant and it's worth a visit for sure. They have nights where they show a movie on the beach, we sat there for a few minutes but I didn't last past the opening credits, it was just too hot and humid.

That covers it.

Thanks for the trip report. Brings back good memories of diving with OE West 2 years ago when we stayed at Kura Hulanda. When we did Watamula, I was the only diver so Andreas gave me a private tour. Some of the best diving I've done in the Caribbean. He took my family on a snorkeling trip to the Blue Room which was awesome.

Andreas is great guy with a strong passion for life and especially for diving.

I also put gas in a diesel car years ago while living in South America. It is a tough lesson to check for the DIESEL tag on the gas cap.....that hopefully you only have to learn once.

-Ed

Thanks for posting; really enjoyed your report. I like the Bonaire vs. Curacao comparison bit; that's the sort of info. that really comes in handy, and that people on the forum often ask for.

Richard.

Thanks for posting; really enjoyed your report. I like the Bonaire vs. Curacao comparison bit; that's the sort of info. that really comes in handy, and that people on the forum often ask for.

Richard.

Thanks for the feedback. Remember I've never actually been to Bonaire. From what I have been told by divers I met at Curacao and from what I've read, the reefs are quite similar in both places however Bonaire, being much smaller, is much more suited for shore diving and the sites are very easy to find.

Here's a before and after picture using Adobe Photoelements 7. The pictures in my opening posts above are not enhanced. This program makes quite the difference.

2yung40.jpg

2rcn2nm.jpg

2cykxmf.jpg

a9pklj.jpg

great trip report, we are heading there in september and looking foward to it. i will have to remember the diesel fuel bit when i go to refill the truck. and wow what a differance on your photos after the touchups.

Great trip report, you even included my favorite yogurt.
I can't believe you managed to climb the mountain, visit other places and still make your flight; good job. It was nice meeting you. People come back to Curacao, especially back to Westpunt. I'm sure we'll see you again and you can finish seeing and diving the rest of your list.
Hugs and fishes! Sunshine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom