Is this a deal or ? Steel or Aluminum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bullheadmike

Registered
Reaction score
It's time to own my own tank. I hate diving Aluminum tanks. But here are my choices based on the $$$ I have. Sports Chalet till the end of the month has new Aluminum 80 tank for just under $100.00 with valve and boot. Found a guy near me with new Faber Steel tanks. They come with a boot and Nitrox ready Din valve with a "K" insert so I can use my yoke on them. He has steel low pressure 95 for $199.00 or a 108 for $225.00. I'm thinking of getting one steel 108 from him, instead of 2 aluminum 80s from Sports Chalet. I hate the buoyancy of aluminum tanks. Your thought's please?

I love diving with steel tanks and only go back to aluminum when travelling and have no other choice. I use steel 80s most of the time (my usual diving buddies dive at least steel 100s (guys) and so we equal out with my 80. If one of my guy diving buddies is diving an 80 then I use my steel 65).

Did you check the prices of the steel tanks at Sport Chalet?

Spot Chalet wants almost $100.00 more on a steel tank then the guy selling the Faber tanks

Get steel tanks. Having only one tank doesn't do a whole lot of good though..
Which tri-state area are you in? :wink:

yeah agree with jonnythan, just one doesn't make much sense, you'll always be driving for fills!!

also, if you buy them together they'll be due for viz at the same time every year!!

I'm in Arizona next to Nevada and California (Laughlin/Bullhead/Needles). Looking at getting 2 tanks but $ are tight. When you say " if you buy them together they'll be due for viz at the same time every year!!" is that a good thing or a bad thing? To me it does not matter as you can always do one early and keep using the other one. How does the price on the steel tanks sound?

i don't do many days diving where one tank is enough, so for me if one is going to be in the shop, may as well have the others in as well..

it's not really an advantage..just trying to sway you to buying 2..!!

bullheadmike:
It's time to own my own tank. I hate diving Aluminum tanks. But here are my choices based on the $$$ I have. Sports Chalet till the end of the month has new Aluminum 80 tank for just under $100.00 with valve and boot. Found a guy near me with new Faber Steel tanks. They come with a boot and Nitrox ready Din valve with a "K" insert so I can use my yoke on them. He has steel low pressure 95 for $199.00 or a 108 for $225.00. I'm thinking of getting one steel 108 from him, instead of 2 aluminum 80s from Sports Chalet. I hate the buoyancy of aluminum tanks. Your thought's please?

The 108's sound like they are probably the Worthington LP 108's. I just got these and love them. They are little bit big so if you're short / small, you might consider the 95's. Bouyancy characteristics are great, -8 full and neutral or slightly negative when empty. They are actually 108 with a 10% overfill. Overall great tanks for the money. If you can only get one, go for the steels even if you have to do it 1 at a time.

The steel tanks are Faber and are + rated with a notrox ready din valve with a "K" insert. I'm 6'1" so I do not think the 108 will be a chalange for me. How much did you pay for the Worthington's?

bullheadmike:

I would get the faber 95 or 108. I dove aluminums for years and recently doubled up the pair I have for diving wet. I have had a faber 95 for about a year. It is near neutral at the end of the dive, so I was able to drop some weight off of the belt. I also have an easier time getting capacity fills on the dive boat. Another benefit is the service life cycle on a steel tank. I think it is somewhere near 5000 fills?? Anyway, I think you will like the 108, which will give you an extra 30 cf of air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom