Is there such a thing as under water GPS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kirwoodd:
I read somwhere about a dood putting a GPS in a dry bag and running an antenna to his marker. As I recall it was theoretical, but it COULD work if you kept the GPS dry and you could extend the antenna that far....

I prefer a reel.
:)
Yea I have heard similar stories, where they run the antena wire up the dive marker / flag. Technically it should work , but going around with that wire would be pain. I think they were only using this technique for archeological digs to mark things in precise location where they were found.

This guy does a good job of explaining how to do the math to compensate for current dragging your unit on the surface. In fact, he even includes a handy Excel spreadsheet to do the math for you.

http://www.wadespage.com/D800DS07RF00.shtml

However, for most recreational diving applications you don't need to be that accurate. If you're not doing a scientific survey and just want top be able to find a certain ledge or patch reef on a future dive, accuracy to within a "few feet" if usually good enough as long as you have a "few feet" of visibility.

WetDawg:
The short answer is RF radio waves to not travel well through water, so GPS will not work while actually underwater. The are a couple super expensive military style products out there, but most divers are not looking to spend "Space Shuttle Money" on such things.

However, there is a another option - you can use your regular handheld GPS unit while diving by floating it in a waterproof box on the surface attached to your dive flag line. There a couple excellent explanations of how to do this out on the web. I have tried this a couple times on shallow beach dives and it works surprisingly well.

In a nutshell, this system works because though the unit will not get a signal while underwater, it will display the last good position... so.... the basic idea is to swim with the GPS in a clear waterproof box (pelican or otterbox) tied on the other end of your dive flag line. when you find a spot you want to mark simply allow the box and gps unit to float to the surface - give it a couple minutes to get a new signal, then reel it back down and write down your new position on your slate. It's that simple. If you mark your start location (like your boat) at the beginning of your dive while on the surface and use your units "go to" function, each time you send it up for a "fix" it will give you the heading and distance to your start position as well.

Pretty cool, eh?

The best explanation can be found here:

http://groups.msn.com/divergps

Another way here:

http://www.wadespage.com/D800DS07RF00.shtml

And the best is here:

I like this idea for marking spots!

I know a couple of years ago they were investigating the use of a Radar based GPS signal that could theoretically be used underwater as radar can pass through water prety well, but I have no idea what happened and havent heard anything recently.

GPS requires line of sight with a Global Positioning Satellite. Granted, there are some workarounds that may or may not work in some applications, but for an accurate reading and travel underwater, the answer is essentially, NO.

I'm a new diver and long time geek and already thought this one through myself. Would be nice, since I suck at orienteering with a compass...didn't get the patch in scouts and now GPS is a trusty guide on land. Guess I'll need remedial training...

-Kai

You know I was just thinking about this Saturday as I was looking around for my anchor line..... The GPS thing sounds like a pretty cool thing to try...

These testimonials just go to show that I'm not the only dork who can't find his/her way underwater. So there.

cancun mark:
I know a couple of years ago they were investigating the use of a Radar based GPS signal that could theoretically be used underwater as radar can pass through water prety well, but I have no idea what happened and havent heard anything recently.

Are you sure it's not sonar? I don't think radar passes through water very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom