Is there money/work in Commercial Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking of making a career change and i've been looking at Commercial Diving schools. I've done reading on commercial diving but have never talked to anyone in the industry. I'm interested in inland or open ocean commercial diving. What is the job market like and what is pay like?

If there is anyone that could enlighten me I would appreciate it. You can post here or send me an e-mail. Thanks.

My dad used to work with a lot of commercial divers, and apparantly they do they paid $$$. Though u could say that big money could be considered danger money.

No risk No gain....commercial diver. I thing before want be a commercial diver but wife rejected to risky. can anyone tell me more

If you do Saturation off-shore diving, then it's big bucks - But remember it's literally 1 month at the time in a diving bell, two days deco, 12 hour bend watch, and then you're helicoptered back again. Not sure what the work availability is in the states, but apparently there is a bit of work off-shore in the North Sea.

For commercial non-sat or commercial scuba, the rates are alot lower. (as in 25% of what you'll make in saturation)

Commercial diving is considered more a way to get to work than work in it's own right. If you're a good welder, then being an underwater welder might be the way to go.

If you're primarily a diver though, you might need to gain some additional skills to get work in commercial diving.

I've never worked in commercial diving myself, so this is just stuff I've discussed whilst considering commercial diving as a career myself.. If there are any commercial divers out there, it'd be great to get your input.

(Check out the underwater centre for more details - http://www.theunderwatercentre.co.uk )

E:)

i'm interested in that area of work, commercial-scuba, could you give us more input or links pls.. is there an advantage if your a tek trimix diver.. tnx.. :)

A friend of mine did North Sea oil rig work for some years and basically retired at about age 40 and invested in a sailboat charter business. He said he watched a couple of his mates die in front of him though so it's not easy money. They'd go down and live in a habitat at like 300 feet or and he did dives to over 600 feet.

versatile34:
i'm interested in that area of work, commercial-scuba, could you give us more input or links pls.. is there an advantage if your a tek trimix diver.. tnx.. :)

The commercial scuba course here is Air only, because on scuba, you simply don't go deeper than 30 meters (According to UK HSE regulations.)

For deeper stuff, you use surface suplied heliox, so it's really a different kettle of fish than tecrec anyway. I'm sure it's not a disadvantage to be a tec trimix diver, if not for any other reason than a better understanding of deco theory and inert gasses before you start the course - But you do learn all of that anyway on the commercial course.

E:)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom