is there anything missing from the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... gill implants ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

a laser scanning booth that you stand in for 3 minutes (in your underwear) and it generates a 3-D scan of your body which is Emailed to Asia, where they begin working on your custom exposure suit that evening and ship it to you within 7 days.

Just ask the TSA to do it next time you go through security at the airport.

a laser scanning booth that you stand in for 3 minutes (in your underwear) and it generates a 3-D scan of your body which is Emailed to Asia, where they begin working on your custom exposure suit that evening and ship it to you within 7 days.
Who the hell wears underwear under their suit?! I want it to fit perfectly EVERYWHERE! Naked scanning booth for the less shy consumer. :D

---------- Post added September 4th, 2013 at 09:38 AM ----------

There are probably a lot of things. Here are 3 I can think of:

--Perhaps the cost of air/gas fills should vary according to tank size. Very little for a pony, etc.
--There should be something you can buy that is streamlined, that will add buoyancy to ones feet, legs, etc. You can buy ankle weights, but not ankle floats.
--Probably difficult to do, but regarding taking classes: It would be nice for shops to be able to get a commitment from a person that they will not cancel (or forfit some $). So that one can plan to take a course and not have it cancelled for lack of number of students. Of course that would affect instructors as well. People like to plan things, especially if they have day jobs.
I've seen several shops that do your first want.
Lighter/floatier fins or maybe neoprene "leg warmers" for your second?
Seen shops that do some level of your third as well.

Seems like you have everything you want from the diving industry. :)

a.u.b.

Home << ShoeBox Compressors - The World's Smallest & Lightest 4500 PSI Compressor

still need a small low(er) pressure compressor and some type of filter system.

nice unit, but is not breathing air compatible, so its moot. takes 12 hours to fill a 80cf tank with the hipo model, and 24 hours on the other one. at 5c/hr for the shoebox and another 5c/hr for the primary, still looking at $2.40 in power for a 24hr AL80 fill, $1.20 for a 12hr fill. $650 for the shoebox, and another $200 for primary, thats a looong time to recoup costs vs fills at the LDS (~180 dives for $7 fills vs 12hr, 150 for 24hr; with $5 fills goes to 320 and 220 dives respectively)

awesome if you're REALLY into airsoft, but doesn't really solve anything for scuba applications.

ps: if you're diving THAT much, you likely already got the hookup on free fills :wink:

If you buy any tank, any size from my lds, they fill it free forever. Not quite the same as doing all pony bottles for free, but still. They also give staff 20% OFF everything, ans students 10% off during and for 90 days following a case taken there. I'd like to see more "collegiality" in the dive industry, and less of the "your agency sucks, we're better" attitude. I'd also like to see mandatory continuing diver education or review for any diver out of the water for 12 months ( or even less). Lastly, and here will come the boos, I am for MANDATORY DIVE LOGGING. It ties in to proof of recent diving, proof of experience and conditions dove, Drivers, pilots, and some other professions have to log. Divers should too.
DivemasterDennis

So... do you want it cheap or do you want it on your schedule? Next you're going to tell me you want it to be high quality as well. My experience is that you can have any two at the cost of the third. In life, not just diving.

One of my favorite options to offer clients..... Fast, cheap, good. Pick any two.

Ok, here is what I think is missing in dive industry: a tank valve and a first stage that allow to swap tanks under water. That is, a specifically designed first stage and the valve where under water you can take the first stage off and put it on some other tank without surfacing.

If you buy any tank, any size from my lds, they fill it free forever. Not quite the same as doing all pony bottles for free, but still. They also give staff 20% OFF everything, ans students 10% off during and for 90 days following a case taken there. I'd like to see more "collegiality" in the dive industry, and less of the "your agency sucks, we're better" attitude. I'd also like to see mandatory continuing diver education or review for any diver out of the water for 12 months ( or even less). Lastly, and here will come the boos, I am for MANDATORY DIVE LOGGING. It ties in to proof of recent diving, proof of experience and conditions dove, Drivers, pilots, and some other professions have to log. Divers should too.
DivemasterDennis
While I'm for your all of your suggestions, only professional drivers and permit/learner drivers have to log anything, at least here in the US. Just sayin'...

I'd like to see more consistent knowledge from one shop to another, but that's never going to happen. I guess that's the point of different shops, actually.

.....dive computer with GPS receiver. Won't obviously work in the water, but could record positions when starting dive (dive location, main purpose) and eventually when getting back to the surface (drift dive)......
just use a smartphone for that (see 00:40 of video below) :wink:

[video=youtube;q1dezKzApjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1dezKzApjg[/video]

the labour of the fill is the same though, innit. Associated fixed overhead for the fill would be small.

some smart chap should consider self service air fills... what could possibly go wrong??! maybe add a (lot of) big red buttons.

There is a self service air fill station at Puffin Divers in Oban, Scotland

Push in a couple of pound coins, connect your tank away you go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom