Is there any surfing in Cancun/Cozumel areas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianS

Contributor
Reaction score
We are planning a vacation to Cancun/Cozumel and my brother asked if there was any surfing in the area.

Thanks for any replies.

Yes, I have seen some really nice breaks on the Caribbean side ( back side) of Cozumel. nothing big mind you 3-5', usually on the smaller side, but nice, clean sets.

There's a small tourist/surf shop/restaurant/bar just a couple of miles (+/-) south once you cross the trans-highway on the north side of the island. I don't know the name of it, it it's pretty easy to find, the breaks are just off shore in front of the shop.

Don't know about Cancun, but I'd imagine there has to be some surfing somewhere along there with it being on the windward side of the Yucatan.

BrianS:
We are planning a vacation to Cancun/Cozumel and my brother asked if there was any surfing in the area.

Thanks for any replies.
I have seen some locals surfing the east side of Cozumel, but it was mainly wind chop and shorebreak with not much form. I've frequently seen it waist to shoulder, though, and there were a couple of places over there that rented boards and boogies. However, there was just a hurricane through there (Emily) and the east shore of Cozumel got pounded, so I doubt your prospects for surf are very good over there at the moment. Last I heard the shore road was impassable and forecast to stay that way for a while.

There are some wind chop waves but no real swell to speak of. The trade winds blow 10-15 knots all the time. Thus the shape is blown out most if not all the time. There is the pontential for some long board rides here and there. If you do surf the east coast of Coz, watch for the ironshore reef structure, a calcified rock type substrate with lots of sharp edges. It will leave a mark for sure.

Enjoy

Rich

Back
Top Bottom