Is there an alternative for dry suit underwear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that is the most important feature of drysuit underwear, they will keep you warm even when wet. It is not if but when you flood.

To those diving in true cold water this should not be dismissed. We had a local diver get out of the water in early stages of hypothermia after flooding his dry suit while wearing a potpourri of thermal items. He distance back thankfully was short.

Pete

So I used to believe that just wearing normal thermals & a fleece core liner were enought to keep me warm and dry in our mid 40's degree water. Problem was, after three layers of warm clothing, I had little to no ability to move my arms and legs once I got into my drysuit. I felt like the little brother from the movie, A Christmas Story. I can't put my arms down! LOL!

This past winter, I had a chance to pick up some Scubapro undergarments on the cheap. Nothing beats a one piece jumpsuit that's warm and dry, even when it gets a little wet. I now have the flexibility & mobility back that I lost with the multiple layer approach.

Does it stink to pay the kinda prices they want for them, ya, it really does. However, hindsight being what it is, I'd pay full price if I had to next time because I understand the value of it now.

My standard outdoor kit should work in a dry-suit. When I hike in the winter weight is an issue, so I use Adidas dry-fit (like under-armour but better) as my base, followed by dry-fit long johns on the bottom and a thin fleece sweater on the top, followed by a thicker fleece sweater (if I need it) on the top and usually a shell one the bottom, which could be replaced by an absorption layer made of thin wool. You want to avoid cotton like the plague and use good wicking materials on the base so that you don't chafe.

As a top-side comparison, for -30C skiing I usually wear 2 layers + a shell on my legs and 2 layers plus a thin jacket on the top. (well, plus 2 layer gloves + a two layer hood (cut like a scuba hood) and of course goggles and an outer vanity hat)
Of course how that will relate to warmth in the water I am unsure of.

Thank you all for your advice. I think I will buy an affordable undergarment and then add other types of clothing for more warmth if I need it following your advice.

I think I will buy a Whites MK2 Undergarment. It's reasonably priced and a good start.

tilos makes a good cheap ($80) thin undy. you can hit up walmart's hunting aisle for their hunting undies - they are two piece & fairly cheap. and there's a guy & his wife who buy the end of run fabric from dui, scubapro, whoever, and makes their own - not as polished, but very very cheap & well worth it. they sell at expos (like beneath the sea and dema) and i think online on ebay.

I tried re-purposing my cold weather gear, after living in NH for 15 years I had plenty on hand. It did keep me warm, but as TS&M pointed out, it was bulky. Its cut for hiking and such, not for minimizing bulk. After a 1/2 dozen dives I sprang for a modestly priced polartech jumpsuit on ebay for about $100. No brand, but dive specific. I dropped several pounds of lead and am now a happy camper down to 40F. I do still use some of the outdoor gear for extra layers, but it is no longer the core I build on. I use cheap walmart polartec undies to wick.

To answer the OPs question. Yes. Polartec. You can buy a variety of garments made from the same stuff dry suit undies are made from. In fact, one can buy the material in bulk and make your own, or have a set of undies made if you know someone with that kind of skill.

I've pieced together undies from Polartec pants (found the pants at a thrift store) and a Polartec top which worked pretty well.

However, for convenience, I have a set of DUI 300G undies. My girlfriend said she could make the same thing, only better from Polartec for a fraction of the price I paid. She said Polartec is available for purchase by the yard. So, next time I'll have a custom set of undies. :)

One of these days I'll try some wool, I hear it works pretty well, too.

Horse poo, you don't need fancy drysuit undergarments. Like you I don't dive a dry suit much 4 or 5 dives in the fall/early winter and again in the spring. I use my regular thermal underware covered with lined sweat pants, a sweatshirt on top and thick wool socks. I dive this comfortably down to 45 deg, any colder than that and I am staying topside. It is most likely not ideal but for a few dives a year it's fine. I already own them and I am not cold, what more do I need? I doubt it has any real issues with my weighting, I dive 22-24 lbs with an AL 80. I agree learing to dive the suit is a challange but once you get the hang of it, it's like riding a bike, a dive or 2 and most of it comes back.

Herman If you stay topside if the temp is colder than 45 in Canada you will never see water :D

One can dive St. Lawrence in summer a couple of months and it goes to mid 60s if the memory serves me right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom