Is there a standard "Emergency" signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! If 3 is truly pretty universal, then this is the signal I will set with my buddies - 3 tank bangs (or sets of 3), 3 divealert blasts, 3 bell rings... means get it in gear, call EMS, send the Marines, get to me and help. NOW!

Are there any other noise conventions that would be good to know about? Like, are there standard/set noise signals for "look here!", "I'm looking for you/where are you/please respond", "I can't find you and am headed for the surface/meet me there if you hear this and if you can" ???

If I remember my Boy Scout Training from well over 40 years ago, we were taught that if in trouble 3 blasts of your whistle is a sign of distress.

Also the National Assoc for search and rescue says 3 blasts. Safety Whistle | Disaster Preparation, Survival and Crime Prevention

Unsure of maritime standards, but I would defer to them while in/on the water.

Good topic for us novices.

My 2 cents.

Most rec divers are Same Ocean Buddies, regardless of wether they stay together or not. A lot of rec divers have not been taught how to handle dynamic scuba emergencies. Just because you dive with a "buddy" especially and insta-buddy does not mean you are buddy diving. To truly buddy dive you need to operate as a team instead of diving as two individual. The problem with the study of break down of the buddy system is that most rec divers do not dive as a team or with a common purpose.

If the signal for narcosis is finger in a circle near the ear, how do you signal vertigo? Or, is there no signal for vertigo?
Having experienced vertigo a couple of times, I need to be able to convey this to my buddy. It's somewhat of an emergency, especially in poor vis, cold water and especially on a deep dive.

is putting your mask on your forehead really considered a sign of distress? we were taught that in our padi ow.

It is viewed as a sign that you are IN distress. It is not a way to signal distress. Mask should stay on until you are on the boat. Taking it off just gives salt water a chance to screw up your vision and create more distress.

---------- Post added July 13th, 2013 at 02:35 PM ----------

My experience when diving with instabuddies and I am leading is that I can tell them several times to stay up even with me but the majority swim in follower position no matter how slow I go except when I stop and point out something to look at. Just have to keep looking around and keep track of them.

If the signal for narcosis is finger in a circle near the ear, how do you signal vertigo? Or, is there no signal for vertigo?
Having experienced vertigo a couple of times, I need to be able to convey this to my buddy. It's somewhat of an emergency, especially in poor vis, cold water and especially on a deep dive.

Wetnotes.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

If I remember my Boy Scout Training from well over 40 years ago, we were taught that if in trouble 3 blasts of your whistle is a sign of distress.

Also the National Assoc for search and rescue says 3 blasts. Safety Whistle | Disaster Preparation, Survival and Crime Prevention

Unsure of maritime standards, but I would defer to them while in/on the water.

Good topic for us novices.

My 2 cents.

3 whistle blasts from a boat means they are operating Stern Propulsion.

5 whistle blasts from a boat designates danger.

Considering you are on the water I would use these signals appropriatly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom