Is there a standard "Emergency" signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LottaBeachNoOcean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been reading Diver Down and in one of the later stories a buddy performing a buddy rescue arrives at the surface with the victim in tow and gives 5 blasts on their air-integrated alert/signal device and other divers in the area seemed to know what this meant.

That got me wondering whether there is a standard or universal "Emergency" signal that most divers/dive operations recognize as meaning there is an emergency, I need help, respond ASAP, alert the local emergency response system & responders?

If so, is it 5 whistle blows/signal blasts/bell rings..., or what...?

(Perhaps this is just another tidbit of info that was missing from all of my training to date, or I snoozed through that class...)

I'm not aware of any convention for signaling. But if you are making a lot of noise on the surface, you are going to attract attention, and then waving arms or yelling, "Help!" will make it clear why you are doing so.

is putting your mask on your forehead really considered a sign of distress? we were taught that in our padi ow.

I think the point is that if someone puts a mask on his forehead, he's probably in distress, not that if you want to call for help you should put your mask on your forehead and sit there and wait for help.

It's sort of a red herring. Plenty of people have been known to put masks on their foreheads when not in distress. It's a poor indicator of anything.

handsignals.gif

is putting your mask on your forehead really considered a sign of distress? we were taught that in our padi ow.

No, no, no. It is not a sign of distress. If anything it's sign that you don't care if a wave knocks your mask off and it disappears into the depths. I have seen many divers who were clearly not in any distress with their masks on their foreheads. Mike Nelson (Lloyd Bridges) always had his on his forehead and he was never in distress.

He was the Chuck Norris of diving in his day.

It seems to come from the idea that a diver in distress will begin to reject their gear and possibly try to get the mask off in the belief that breathing will be easier. This is partially true. But it's more likely if they are truly in distress the mask is coming all the way off! Not sitting neatly on their forehead.

I don't tell students it is a sign of distress. I tell them it's a good way to lose money when you have to buy a new mask.

In fact when I see classes being told this on checkouts I purposely put mine up there sometimes just for the heck of it. Love seeing the instructor's reactions. :wink:

No, no, no. It is not a sign of distress. If anything it's sign that you don't care if a wave knocks your mask off and it disappears into the depths. I have seen many divers who were clearly not in any distress with their masks on their foreheads. Mike Nelson (Lloyd Bridges) always had his on his forehead and he was never in distress.

He was the Chuck Norris of diving in his day.

Lloyd Bridges with the mask in the forehead.

Attachments

• Lloyd Bridges diver.jpg
    Lloyd Bridges diver.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 629
They never even mentioned that in our course and I think it's ridiculous, but knowing that some people may incorrectly interpret mask on forehead as sign of distress serves as a good reminder to myself not to do that, simply because I really don't want to lose my mask... it's very valuable to me, it has optical lenses, I'd be blind without it and I absolutely need it to dive :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom