Is There a Paddle/Blade Fin for Diver with Bad Knee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SanFranDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like a paddle/blade fin that works well for frog, modified frog, helicopter, or backing up.

Had knee surgery and the knee is stiff and the quad is weak.

I tried an Aqualung (U.S. Divers) Shredder SAR fin ( Aqualung Shredder SAR Fin | Fins | Dive Gear ) and it required too much torque to push - so does that mean I'm restricted to split fins?

detailpopup.aspx
204_detail.jpg

I'm guessing that if I couldn't push a Shredder SAR (short blade) I won't be able to push a ScubaPro JetFin, right?

With practice,you can do all these kicks with splitfins.
I know I can.:D

btw they don't kill you.

Mantaray fins may work, even though they are much too weak for my taste!

But if you combine them with a DPV, you should be very well off!

Two things come to mind. Perhaps you might look at force fins, they are active in the manufacturer forum. I know some of their fins use different muscles, etc. and they might suggest a fin, or tell you what won't work. Their web site is Force Fin.

Another interesting product, that seems quite cool for a little added push is these unique gloves. Scuba Diving Gloves | Surfing Gloves | Skydiving Gloves | Underwater Gloves | Webbed Gloves I suggest you contact Roy, who is active on the forums. Scuba Diving Gloves | Surfing Gloves | Skydiving Gloves | Underwater Gloves | Webbed Gloves Roy's username is ScubaBoard - View Profile: Roy McKinney

I hope this information is useful.

definitely worth looking at Force Fins, they are very easy on the knees and have excellent maneuverability.

Mantaray fins may work, even though they are much too weak for my taste!

I second that, although I never managed to get a decent back kick out of them.

what & how long ago was your surgery? do u have mainly pain or weakness. Pending specific details ie type of surgery, post-op time, problems & surgeon restriction, consider a different viewpoint. You're in a temporary post-op rehab situation. Consider wearing a compressive hinged knee brace when water exercising back to full strength.

what & how long ago was your surgery? do u have mainly pain or weakness. Pending specific details ie type of surgery, post-op time, problems & surgeon restriction, consider a different viewpoint. You're in a temporary post-op rehab situation
confused.gif
. Consider wearing a compressive hinged knee brace when water exercising back to full strength.

"Minor" arthroscopic knee surgery was 32 months ago. Consulted four different orthopedic surgeons, months of PT, aquatherapy -- and knee is still stiff & weak with the occasional hot bone-on-bone grinding action; all surgeons say I'm not [yet] a candidate for metal knee. Quad strength is less than 50% of normal. Have custom knee brace.

can you swim in salt water with your knee brace??

it sounds like you would be a perfect fit with the Force Fins. Generally I would say the Pro model is the right fin, but with a trick knee the Originals may be better for you. You will have all the maneuverability that you will ever want. Sure you won't get the best frog kick out of them, but with the responsiveness of the fins you won't need frog kick anyway.

One of the great things about the Force Fin design is the foot pocket, the completely open foot pocket prevents the foot from being torqued over and hyper-extending the ankle. This allows you to kick from the stronger muscle groups, the abs, glutes, and quads and minimize strain on the hamstrings and knees. See The Truth about Dive Fins, that's not marketing that real life try it for yourself.

Can you swim in salt water with your knee brace??

I've not tried it in salt water, but since it's not titanium or stainless steel, I think it'd be the worse for wear. Plus it's almost as much fun to wear as a broomstick up the bum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom