Is there a better way to manage "roll call" threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
I've recently started and managed a couple of "roll call" threads, which has got me to wondering if I'm Doing It Wrong (tm - all wrongs reserved).

My impression is that as a normal user I can't edit my original post once it has replies. Thus, I keep posting replies to the thread as members pipe up with their dates and changes. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it does increase the number of messages in the thread and means that when someone opens it at the first posting there's no current list of who's on the island with their dates, accommodations, and dive plans.

Is the way I'm doing it the most appropriate, or is there a better way? Am I missing the method for edit my thread-starting post?

It's not that you can't edit after someone replies; it's that you can't edit after a certain period has elapsed. I think it's 24 hours but it may very well be less than that...it's been a few years now since I have had to worry about that. :)

So yeah, you're doing it about the best you can, outside of having moderation powers...

Cool. Nobody has actually complained about getting too many notifications about thread updates, so I'll just keep doing it this way (or waiting to see if someone else will volunteer for that month before I do...).

Just copy and paste your text and add people to the list. Latest posts will show complete lists is how I do it.

Just copy and paste your text and add people to the list. Latest posts will show complete lists is how I do it.
Or just reply to the latest list, edit out the quote and /quote, and add the new names.

Brules, ggunn, that's essentially what I've been doing. Just checking whether I've missed a way to edit a thread-starting post or if there's a better way to do this other than what I've been doing.

We could always start a shared Google spreadsheet with one tab per month. People could still post in the thread for conversation sake, but it would be a more readable format people could update on their own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom