Is the surface the most dangerous part of the dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All these people you describe, how did they even get certified?
I don't think it's a question of how did they get certified. We're all extra careful when we're "brand new". I think it's because we eventually realize that we probably aren't going to die instantly if we "bend the rules a little bit" and we get complacent. It's like that in everything. I've worked with decorated officers who were great cops. But some of them did stupid things like shoot themselves in the hand because they ignored the rules. They knew better when they were doing it, but they got too comfortable and thought they were expert enough to get by with ignoring safely protocol. "The rules are for thee, not for me" mentality.

I've been diving for 30 years. Dived for NOAA. I've gone over the side with my air turned off, gone over the side with my weight pouches for my BC still on the boat, went in once with my glasses on instead of my mask, went in once with my reg still clipped to my BC instead of in my mouth, once I hit the water negatively buoyant I had to scramble for it. Buddy check? "Yeah I'm good, no time for that (I'm an expert)". Anybody who hasn't done something dumb like that at least once hasn't done much diving, I think. I knew in each of the cases after i did it that I was an idiot and was supposed to check all that. I was just too complacent.

Human nature is to get complacent the more familiar and more comfortable you become with something.

Dude you're describing absence of mind

You must be experienced in something in order to deliberately omit it having chosen a path of complacency

Dude you're describing absense of mind

you must be experienced with something in order to deliberately omit it having decided to become complacent
Yessir. Could be absence of mind as well.
Things that are legal elsewhere aren't legal (yet) in NC so it isn't anything else I'm "experienced" with, sorry to say.

Back
Top Bottom