Is the G12 much more better than the P7000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use your gift card to buy some groceries & TP, or possibly a lawn mower-------get what you need in a camera some place else....

Lol... I dont ussually go to Walmart... and the use of the gift card to "get the camera for a great price" was the line used to convince the wife to let me spend the $$ in underwater setup, so I'm kind of stuck betwen this 2 cameras :D

Neither the G series Canon nor the Nikon P7000 are good cameras for wide angle applications.

N

Lol... I dont ussually go to Walmart... and the use of the gift card to "get the camera for a great price" was the line used to convince the wife to let me spend the $$ in underwater setup, so I'm kind of stuck betwen this 2 cameras :D

I'd get the G12-----@ wulmart then...

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. Totally undecided between the G12, P7000, LX5, S95 and the Oly XZ1.

I think G12 is probably the way forward but I'm going round in circles trying to decide...

Neither the G series Canon nor the Nikon P7000 are good cameras for wide angle applications.

N

Nemrod, would you please elaborate more on the Nikon? I already read a lot about why the G12 is not a great candidate for w/a, but I dont find much info on the Nikon...

Nemrod, would you please elaborate more on the Nikon? I already read a lot about why the G12 is not a great candidate for w/a, but I dont find much info on the Nikon...

It's not good for the same reasons that the G12 isn't good for wide angle.

Damn!! I knew it was too good to be true that I was going to get a good set up for less than $1k :depressed:

Damn!! I knew it was too good to be true that I was going to get a good set up for less than $1k :depressed:

You can purchase the S95 with Canon housing for less than 600.00 or the Oly XZ-1 with the Oly housing for 800.00.

The G12 is a great camera. If your choices are between the Nikon P7000 and G12, go for the G12 and get the standard Canon Housing. The G12 and Canon housing will run under $700 and will be a "good setup". You might want to add a strobe, well worth another $500 when you feel rich again.

The G12 does not adapt well to the ultra wide angle lenses, so what! -- not everyone is into shooting that way. I'm sure not, I like to take macros more, which bores the heck out of some people but that's me. Those add on wide lenses cost more than the camera and housing together, upwards of $800 with the dome. And they are a pain to shlep around. Keep it simple and cheap for openers.

I'd suggest not getting to hung up on wide angle, the 28mm lens on the G12 is wider than a lot of cameras people are happily using. Just buy a system and enjoy it. Later on you might decide to refine your choices and change systems, but you haven't even started.

Back
Top Bottom