Is the Deep cert really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't want to mess with 119s, 120s, etc. I had two sets of LP72s (baby doubles) that were much more user friendly and easier for me to manage. And since I filled them myself they had a lot more gas than a 119. filled to 2800 PSI was over 160 cu ft of gas. No swapping cylinders for the second dive, redundancy, and if necessary enough gas if deco was on the table.
I can much easier handle a hp 149 that can easily be pumped up a little past the rated pressure of 3500 compared to double 72’s. The double 72 pumped to 2800 give around 150 cuft, not more than the big single tank, and the two are heavier than the single.

Regardless, someone who is doing deep, nondeco dives on nitrox or air doesn’t need anywhere near that much gas, or they probably shouldn’t be diving that deep.

Interesting to hear of the Andrea Dorea. Lays in 70m of water which is quite accessible with today's diving equipment, but 50nm south of Nantucket Island; quite remote.

Let along how many operators are going to have twinsets for divers. Are the guides now going to be kitted out with twinsets?
Very few ops offer anything other an an AL80. I know some that have AL100 and AL120 but very few. Also many dive ops have a 1 hour limit on dives. Many let you dive to whatever dive time you can do.

Back too the deep certificate is it necessary. No. Just go diving with more experienced divers and do more dives to a deeper depth.

You don't need a manifolded twinset to dive with two backmounted tanks. And as you say very few ops offer anything other than an AL80.

We have been diving independent backmount doubles for a few years now. It is sanctioned by TDI, but not PADI for technical diving in general. But, we are talking recreational diving here. Both SDI /TDI and PADI sanction that even for training in courses like self reliant or deep. We dive this way whenever we go to Bonaire or Cayman Brac. Since there is no dive guide, or time limit, you can do whatever you want.

Hello, I'm a Rescue Diver with some specialties (Nitrox, Equipment, Wreck), but I have never dove below 27m.
In order to dive below 30m, do I really need to have the Deep certification?
Is this a required certification to dive to deeper depths?
For example, do dive centers only allow divers to dive at certain sites if they are certified to dive up to 40m?

Best regards,
a. Absolute maximum is 40 metres/130 feet. Exception: TecRec courses as specified in course instructor guide.

OWSI: 18m/60 ft AOW: 30m/100 fi Deep Diver: 40m/130ft

Why is 40m PADI's absolute maximum?

a. Absolute maximum is 40 metres/130 feet. Exception: TecRec courses as specified in course instructor guide.

OWSI: 18m/60 ft AOW: 30m/100 fi Deep Diver: 40m/130ft

Why is 40m PADI's absolute maximum?
These are recommended depth limits without further training and experience.
Could you please clarify your question?
I think you'll find the answer already in this thread.

Yup I'm a large diver who likes my gas.
So, now I have to tell this story about a large diver who likes his gas. I certified this individual in rescue, divemaster, and TEC40. During this training, I noted that the individuals gas consumption was about 1.2 CF/Min. One day he came to me and said that he had a breakthru in his gas consumption. It was now about half of what it was before or approximately 0.6 CF/Min.

I asked him what he had done to do that. He could not identify any particular thing that he had changed. Finally, I asked him if he had the breakthru while using a manifolded AL80 twinset. His response was something to the effect of how did I know?

These are recommended depth limits without further training and experience.
Could you please clarify your question?
I think you'll find the answer already in this thread.
I haven't met anybody who knows the answer, even people with your level and experience. The answer came to me in an epiphany while I was doing my Tec training. Please, direct me to the post. Tks

I haven't met anybody who knows the answer, even people with your level and experience. The answer came to me in an epiphany while I was doing my Tec training. Please, direct me to the post. Tks
Please clarify what is your question?

Back
Top Bottom