Is the BP/W really the best BCD for recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW I am BIG fan of the Halcyon short BP - in fact, I JUST bought a short aluminum BP to replace the regular size aluminum one I've had for years. Although I admit I usually dive my steel BP, whenever I've dove my regular-length aluminum, it was never a problem, the short one is just SLIGHTLY more comfortable for some one who is 5'5" - and I got a gift certificate to EE for Christmas so that was what I got. HHMMM - anyone interested in a good deal on a slightly-used (regular-length) Halcyon Aluminum BP? :)

I call BS! In order to "buy a BCD and be diving it in within five minutes" you would need to purchase the BCD on the back of the boat on the way to the dive site... or bend the time-space continuum!

Either way... I ain't buying it!

:d

Don't make me post your epic Monty Python fan fiction skit about this...

:)

Don't make me post your epic Monty Python fan fiction skit about this...

:)

Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!

(HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed...)

297576372_5e32cd5d3c.jpg

At 6'5" and 230 pounds, I spent my first 1 or 2 years of diving trying to MacGyver two different back-inflated BCDs to fit me just right. I spent more time ordering a long back plate and wing than the time it took me to put it together. Can I dive a jacket BCD? Yes, I can and I have since I switched to my back plate and I still own the second BCD with all the MacGyver alterations including a crotch strap. But given the choice I'd choose a Gold iPhone!!! Best, Best, Best!:rofl3:

Seriously, a recommendation should be based on the persons needs and not your own personal bias. It is very difficult to make a recommendation to an open water student because they just don't know what they don't know. But based on their body type you can make a sensible suggestion and it doesn't have to be a consensus according to SB!

All in favor say, I!

Back plates are a lot like light sabers. A true Jedi makes his/her own.

And I believe the thread stopping phrase should be: You are seeking an equipment solution to a skills problem

I'm not convinced about the merits of the back back and wing but have never tried them. I have a jacket style BCD and while I'm happy with it have dispensed with the integrated weights and rarely if ever use the pockets and find them hard to access. In other words I'm not sold on the need for the full jacket style BCD.

I have a jacket style BCD and while I'm happy with it have dispensed with the integrated weights and rarely if ever use the pockets and find them hard to access. In other words I'm not sold on the need for the full jacket style BCD.

"Good! Good..."

palpatine.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom