Is the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme the best reg on the market, for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One wonders when an instructor comes to a forum asking what regulator they should buy, what that instructor is going to say when students come asking what regulators they should buy. Especially with some of the basic questions being asked here

This is stuff instructors should have experience in and be able to advise their students about - surely?

But everyone knew nothing in the beginning and he's not an instructor yet, hopefully this knowledge will be acquired along the way...but this does require that one listens to advice offered by those with more experience.

I guess, here's the thing..

I work at a very nice dive shop right now. And I can get 40% off virtually anything from any scuba co. I'm working two full-time jobs right now and my overhead's low -- my money's pretty good right now.

I'm planning on moving abroad to become a full-time instructor for the rest of my life (God willing) in a year or two. And my "money's" probably never going to be good again.

Before I leave. While I still have this discount. While I've got the dough. I really want to make sure that I take advantage of my current situation. And I want to leave with the best gear that money can buy (not waste).

So. Forget about what I said I had. (I can sell it.. upgrade.. and probably still come out ahead financially; or at least pretty close to it)

If money's no object. What is the very best regulator that money can buy?

The issue would be what are you looking for? Like Buddhasummer said, there is no best.

But what is the best regulator that suit your needs?

If you think your Legend EX is too heavy and you want a travel reg, then give AL Micron, Apeks Flights, or titanium regulators a look.

If you are looking to do tech later, then stick with Din instead of yoke and stay away from titanium (technically speaking).

If you are looking for a set of reg that you can service and buy the kits readily available, go with Hog or other brands that will sell you the kit for self servicing.

If you want to impress people, then with your 40% discount, get a CC rebreather and you will be the talk of the dive boat every time you go out.

The best set of regulator is the set that will meet your needs, not what is the most expensive one that money can buy. I am not saying that your are basing your purchase decision by the dollar sign. But rather I would like to disprove the myth that the more expensive a set of reg is, it must be a better, and easier breathing reg.

I would buy the simplest reg I could find, learn to do the service on it, buy several oh service kits and be happy. You will be diving shallow a lot and you need a workhorse that can take abuse not a high performance reg that is adjusted to blast air and freeflow if you look at it wrong.

Yes, long term reliability and the ability to take some abuse would be a very important factor as a working instructor and also as DD says most of your diving is going to be pretty shallow.

I have owned high "spec" regs and not so high "spec" regs and have never noticed a big difference in performance.

I have a dream to do a year or two long dive holiday before I die, unlikely as it may be (the holiday, not the dying) in some far flung and remote locations where servicing etc would likely be all but impossible. I wanted a reg set that would be reliable and easily serviced by me should the need arise. I settled on a DS4 with two Conshelf seconds. Robust, reliable, simple, easy to service and requiring no specialty tools. Sometimes a Ferrari is not the best option. Horses for courses.

I have a dream to do a year or two long dive holiday before I die, unlikely as it may be (the holiday, not the dying) in some far flung and remote locations where servicing etc would likely be all but impossible. I wanted a reg set that would be reliable and easily serviced by me should the need arise. I settled on a DS4 with two Conshelf seconds. Robust, reliable, simple, easy to service and requiring no specialty tools. Sometimes a Ferrari is not the best option. Horses for courses.

How about this setup? :rolleyes:

IMG_2825.JPG

Asked and answered. Just buy the one you like the look of most. As has been said on numerous occasions you will not be able to tell the difference between any of the regs you've listed or in fact most mid to high end regs.

I'll be able to service most regs by the time I leave. And, I'm sure you're right--I'm not going to be able to notice much of a difference between top-end regs (if at all). But which will still be great in ten years? Which will hold up against non-stop salt-water and chlorine diving?

Yes, long term reliability and the ability to take some abuse would be a very important factor as a working instructor and also as DD says most of your diving is going to be pretty shallow.

I have owned high "spec" regs and not so high "spec" regs and have never noticed a big difference in performance.

That's really cool. An Apeks.

I actually noticed a Conshelf for the first time too today btw lol.. in our shop's little antique museum

One wonders when an instructor comes to a forum asking what regulator they should buy, what that instructor is going to say when students come asking what regulators they should buy. Especially with some of the basic questions being asked here

This is stuff instructors should have experience in and be able to advise their students about - surely?

I'm a DMC

I would buy the simplest reg I could find, learn to do the service on it, buy several oh service kits and be happy. You will be diving shallow a lot and you need a workhorse that can take abuse not a high performance reg that is adjusted to blast air and freeflow if you look at it wrong.

I really love this response. It's got me thinking 100% in the right direction.

1) I want something that's going to be able to take 5-6 dives a day, 5-6 days a week for 10 yrs (Salt Water Ocean, Chlorine Pool, Mostly shallow). And that's not going to let me down (w/ regular service, of course).
...That's why I was thinking Titanium...not bc of the high price tag.

2) I'm for sure going to be qualified to service whatever Reg I buy by the time I leave. So, labor's not an issue. But I'm obviously going to need parts. I'm going to need to go with a big-name brand that's not going to go out of business, for sure. The price difference in service kits from brand to brand, reg to reg.. it's at most like $20 difference a year as far as what I've seen.

Suggestions? Does Diaphragm (environmentally sealed/dry) vs. Piston (less moving parts) come into play here?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom