Is the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme the best reg on the market, for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The functional difference between the MK25/S600 and the MK25T/S600T - zero - except for the improved corrosion resistance of the Ti. I almost bought one so did the research. I bought an Atomic T2 instead but don't cold water dive - ever.

Conshelf's may still be in use after 40 years but that also makes them a 40 year old design. I think regs have improved a little since then - esp. since patents for both are owned by Aqualung since they bought out US Divers maybe 20? years ago.

Axxels comments suggest he has a bench where he tests/tunes regs - possibly a breathing machine also. I have no doubt he's correct but in your case since you don't apparently have either or the skills required - you'd have products from two competing brands that need servicing.

I know of one dealer now that sells/services both - Yours. Actually if you don't mind, please share the name as a future resource.

Where I travel to dive (much of the best of the Caribbean over the past decade) there's often an Aqualung and a Scubapro dealer on the same island but not at the same shop.

Both probably have 2 year intervals now, I believe Aqualung recently upgraded their requirements to 1st year inspection, 2nd year overhaul - Scubapro has been that way for a while.

Testing Scuba Regulators On The ANSTI Breathing Machine

Titanium actually does something useful, regs made from it don't corrode in salt water. But it's more like $500 since it's expensive and hard to machine.

Otherwise I agree with most of the list. He missed one also - there's Black Tech now also. That has to be better than regular Tech right? I've also seen a reg with a PVD coating - scratched to **** after about 2-3 years of average use. I think it was an Atomic...

As I said, the Conshelf will offer 95% of the performance of the other mentioned regs and much greater durability and ease of service. Some of us, while not at ANSTI levels, do have testing equipment and can make reasonable comparisons on cracking force and flow. At sport diving depths (and well beyond) the difference between a Legend and a well tuned Conshelf XIV is there but not by much. The XIV and Legend share first stage internals but instead of the balanced second stage has a simple downstream design.

N

I think just pick a regulator you like and stick with it.

Piston vs diaphragm, which regulator manufacturer is better than the others, and whether titanium or tungsten is worth the money or not have all debated at great lengths and ad nauseam on this board. Do a search and you will see for yourself.

The main issue is: Do you like your current setup? If you do, then it's a done deal.

I don't think you can find major difference in the ease of breathing between SP, AL, Apeks, Atomic, Hollis, Beuchat, and etc.

Cold and warm water is just a matter of getting a sealed 1st.

I think your current setup is great and there is no point to spend the money to upgrade. It will serve you right in both warm and cold water. Spend the money else where - like a Perdix AI.

Just my two cents.

As I said, the Conshelf will offer 95% of the performance of the other mentioned regs and much greater durability and ease of service. Some of us, while not at ANSTI levels, do have testing equipment and can make reasonable comparisons on cracking force and flow. At sport diving depths (and well beyond) the difference between a Legend and a well tuned Conshelf XIV is there but not by much. The XIV and Legend share first stage internals but instead of the balanced second stage has a simple downstream design.

N

Hope so James, I recently bought 2 new Conshelfs based on your recommendations. They do look pretty...

Hope so James, I recently bought 2 new Conshelfs based on your recommendations. They do look pretty...

You can't go wrong with a Conshelf XIV...

Jim....

I guess, here's the thing..

I work at a very nice dive shop right now. And I can get 40% off virtually anything from any scuba co. I'm working two full-time jobs right now and my overhead's low -- my money's pretty good right now.

I'm planning on moving abroad to become a full-time instructor for the rest of my life (God willing) in a year or two. And my "money's" probably never going to be good again.

Before I leave. While I still have this discount. While I've got the dough. I really want to make sure that I take advantage of my current situation. And I want to leave with the best gear that money can buy (not waste).

So. Forget about what I said I had. (I can sell it.. upgrade.. and probably still come out ahead financially; or at least pretty close to it)

If money's no object. What is the very best regulator that money can buy?

Last edited:
I guess, here's the thing..

I work at a very nice dive shop right now. And I can get 40% off virtually anything from any scuba co. I'm working two full-time jobs right now and my overhead's low -- my money's pretty good right now.

I'm planning on moving abroad to become a full-time instructor for the rest of my life (God willing) in a year or two. And my "money's" probably never going to be good again.

Before I leave. While I still have this discount. While I've got the dough. I really want to make sure that I take advantage of my current situation. And I want to leave with the best gear that money can buy (not waste).

So. Forget about what I said I had. (I can sell it.. upgrade.. and probably still come out ahead financially; or at least pretty close to it)

If money's no object. What is the very best regulator that money can buy?

Asked and answered. Just buy the one you like the look of most. As has been said on numerous occasions you will not be able to tell the difference between any of the regs you've listed or in fact most mid to high end regs.

Last edited:
The "best" is the one most suitable to your diving conditions, has the number of ports you need, one you can either service yourself or get serviced easily and the one you like the look of the most

Back
Top Bottom