Is that a guide handling an octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shouldn't be doing it on scuba either.

I hear that here's a law up for a vote to ban commercial aquarium collection as well as spearfishing with scuba (actually, possession of speared fish, a speargun and scuba gear, all at the same time). The Ka`u Calendar News Briefs, Hawai`i Island: Jan 19, 2012

This is true. I'm following the legislation proposals. Many of them have been around for years. They are all in committee now.

I hear that here's a law up for a vote to ban commercial aquarium collection as well as spearfishing with scuba (actually, possession of speared fish, a speargun and scuba gear, all at the same time). The Ka`u Calendar News Briefs, Hawai`i Island: Jan 19, 2012

Not quite. The law that's currently in the process would significantly restrict commercial and recreational aquarium collecting (but not ban it) and outlaw the use of spears & scuba (in West Hawaii). Unless something changes this will probably go into effect before the end of the year.

Since you don't need a spear to catch tako, people would still be able to take them with scuba. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, though. Tako are short-lived, reproduce quickly, and are very abundant - I don't think banning tako hunting on scuba would do much. The real problem in this thread is people going to popular dive spots and scaring the marine life, which is a problem no matter what type of equipment you're using.

The problem with banning the posession of a spear and scuba gear at the same time is that, when freediving, having a scuba tank on the boat can be a very important piece of safety equipment. Fortunately it's never happened to me but I've heard enough horror stories of people blacking out and nobody being able to rescue them... Or worse somebody trying (without scuba) and dying in the attempt. Although I know it's not the intent of the law, eventually it will cost somebody their life.

There are times when it's better not to be paid than to be watch dogged to death. I wouldn't consider breaking the law but I'm never going to go by other peoples rules either. Keep your tips, go out with someone else and continue your investigation someplace else :)

Not quite. The law that's currently in the process would significantly restrict commercial and recreational aquarium collecting (but not ban it) and outlaw the use of spears & scuba (in West Hawaii). Unless something changes this will probably go into effect before the end of the year.

Since you don't need a spear to catch tako, people would still be able to take them with scuba. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, though. Tako are short-lived, reproduce quickly, and are very abundant - I don't think banning tako hunting on scuba would do much. The real problem in this thread is people going to popular dive spots and scaring the marine life, which is a problem no matter what type of equipment you're using.

The problem with banning the posession of a spear and scuba gear at the same time is that, when freediving, having a scuba tank on the boat can be a very important piece of safety equipment. Fortunately it's never happened to me but I've heard enough horror stories of people blacking out and nobody being able to rescue them... Or worse somebody trying (without scuba) and dying in the attempt. Although I know it's not the intent of the law, eventually it will cost somebody their life.

Yes, definitely some significant restrictions, but not a complete ban in all cases.

HB1780 and SB2042 both state "(b) It shall be unlawful for any person at any time to knowingly or intentionally sell or offer to sell, for aquarium purposes, aquatic life taken from any of the waters within the jurisdiction of the State."

SB 151 states "(a) Except as provided in subsection (b), it shall be unlawful for any person at any time to take or harvest aquarium fish from the coastal areas, nearshore waters, or freshwater areas of the islands of the State, for the purpose of selling the aquarium fish.

SB2897 is the bill related to SCUBA spearfishing.

There are also some bills related to the commercial shark tours and the feeding of sharks. One bill calls for a prohibition on feeding the sharks. The other ban calls for an end to the commercial shark tours.

These are only small portions of the bills and there are exceptions provided in the bill. The legislative language can get tricky. I'm not sure I understand it all...but I'm trying. Everyone I've talked to has their own interpretations and many of them contradict each other. So, it all depends on how law enforcement and the courts interpret the bills...if they pass.

Not all bills call for a ban. Some call for restrictions and a list of species that can and can not be taken...and may place limits on take of some species.

Last edited:
There are times when it's better not to be paid than to be watch dogged to death. I wouldn't consider breaking the law but I'm never going to go by other peoples rules either. Keep your tips, go out with someone else and continue your investigation someplace else :)

Thanks for the "warning..." I will do just that!

I have no problem with people who hunt and abide by the legal constraints. I used to hunt and my son is a hunter. I have no problem eating most seafood (unless I was the one who cooked it... yech).

However, I do have a problem with the attitude suggested above. If you were my dive guide, and were hunting during the time you were to be guiding the divers (and therefore responsible for their safety), I'd take great exception to your being distracted by your own interests during that time. I'd have no problem if you were hunting for food on your time... but don't do it while I'm paying for your services.

Well Bill I doubt I would hunt, never have during a guided tour unless it was a hunting trip but honestly I'm tired of the whiners here who are offended because someone touched something. People these days are going overboard looking for reasons to be upset. Harming a creature with no purpose other than to harm it is bs of course but guess what I touch stuff. So look at my ugly mug, you ever see me on a dive boat leading dives I'll make sure ya get a full refund before the boat leaves the dock.

[video=facebook;474788955880196]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=474788955880196[/video]

I hope this video comes out.
Anyway, never mind the turtle in the video. Watch the puffer fish grinding away on a sponge. I really don't get why it's ok for the local residents of reefs to destroy as they see fit in order to eat, but we humans.....oh my God, don't touch anything. Huh?
It's not divers messing up the reefs. It's all the other factors. This was at Tubbataha a couple weeks ago. It's amazing how the reef has come back by stopping the commercial fishing there. No dynamite, cyanide, gill nets etc.

Back
Top Bottom