Is SubGear being Merged with SP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I see in the new SP catalog that a lot of Subgear's products are migrating into the SP product line, does this mean that SubGear is being merged with SP and the Subgear name and company being phased out?

they're both owned by Johnson Outdoors, same as Uwatec, and now Seabear. Probably just consolidating.

I know that they are sister companies but they seem to becoming one company, Scubapro, with Subgear disappearing just like Oceanic and Aeris last year.

Subgear and Scubapro have always been owned by the same company and they recently ended their Subgear division

Interesting I had n ot heard that. What I have heard from a sales rep is that alot of ScubaPro products start out as Subgrear then depending on how well they are liked they are often moved to the ScubaPro line up.

That's what I was told by my boss because we can't get Subgear equipment anymore so I assume he heard that from our rep

SUBGEAR was originally a German brand (SEEMANN SUB), since 1979. It was acquired by Johnson Outdoors in 2007 and launched in most of Europe in 2008. ScubaPro are simply consolidating into one brand.

As noted above Subgear was another brand under the JWA banner.

Scubapro used the Subgear brand to market products that were lower cost to give Scubapro dealers a product line that could compete better with on-line retail competition.

As such you saw the entry and intermediate level Scuabpro regulators cosmetically altered and sold in the Sub gear line. For example, the Subgear SG 50 is a Mk 17 C300, the Subgear SG30 is a Mk 11 C300 and the SG10 is a Mk 2 C200. Exactly the same regulators internally just a different cosmetic package.

My guess is that this particular marketing strategy isn't working all that well to capture sales from internet retail competition, and it's probably cutting into sales of Scubapro regulators that hold similar places in the entry and intermediate level regulator line but that have a higher dealer markup, making sub gear a bit less popular with Scubapro dealers.

If Scubapro would loosen up and allow Scuabpro dealers to sell Subgear products without having to have face to face contact, it would actually offer something different to a Scubapro dealer in terms of being able to compete with Leisure Pro, etc.

As noted above Subgear was another brand under the JWA banner.

Scubapro used the Subgear brand to market products that were lower cost to give Scubapro dealers a product line that could compete better with on-line retail competition.

As such you saw the entry and intermediate level Scuabpro regulators cosmetically altered and sold in the Sub gear line. For example, the Subgear SG 50 is a Mk 17 C300, the Subgear SG30 is a Mk 11 C300 and the SG10 is a Mk 2 C200. Exactly the same regulators internally just a different cosmetic package.

My guess is that this particular marketing strategy isn't working all that well to capture sales from internet retail competition, and it's probably cutting into sales of Scubapro regulators that hold similar places in the entry and intermediate level regulator line but that have a higher dealer markup, making sub gear a bit less popular with Scubapro dealers.

If Scubapro would loosen up and allow Scuabpro dealers to sell Subgear products without having to have face to face contact, it would actually offer something different to a Scubapro dealer in terms of being able to compete with Leisure Pro, etc.

As far as I know, there are many online dealers that sell SP products online. SP doesn't seem to prohibit their dealers from selling online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom