Is stiffer better????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmnative

New
Reaction score
Getting set for my pool time, I am unsure what to purchase in the way of fins.......
I have decided to buy the Tusa Split fins, but I see there is a "normal" stiffness in teh fins with color and "stiffer compound" in the all black fins. What the difference(besides the obvious) and what is recommended for a scuba student??

Stiff fins are good for divers that need more respose to non-standard kicks or finning techniques. Also I find that since I have pretty strong legs I like the Jet/Rocket type fins.

If you are not a strong swimmer you may like the softer and betterer engineered fins like the split fins or many off the plastic type fins.

Getting set for my pool time, I am unsure what to purchase in the way of fins.......
I have decided to buy the Tusa Split fins, but I see there is a "normal" stiffness in teh fins with color and "stiffer compound" in the all black fins. What the difference(besides the obvious) and what is recommended for a scuba student??

Well, I'm sure you will get a lot of high school type answers to your question.

I do not think that Mother Nature designed fins for most Marine mammals to be hard or stiff, they are, it seems, some sort of split design and very efficient. I still own my old stiff jet fins and some other old brands, I've moved on to the newer fins and find them better, IMO. You are a student, ask your instructor, try for yourself several types.

Can't tell what you'll enjoy til you have them on and are kicking around. Note one thing though, you'll change as time goes by. What seems perfect at the start isn't so after awhile quite often.

I've found that the softer splits offer me the most comfort and after all, I'm not racing down there anyway. Less effort on the legs, more gas in the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom