Is Socorro worth the $$$?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving the 4 jewels of the Eastern Pacific is incredibly valuable. Personally, I don't compare them so much as consider them complimentary.
4 is Malpelo? Dang...forgot that one.

You guys never invite me...so uncool.. 😢
Oops. Sorry. Next time!

How about Galapagos in December? This one: 18-28 December, 2023 Schedules and Prices It still has 7 spots available.

@aquabluegreg can give you a good deal!

Here's my latest trip report for Galapagos:

Been to cocos 4-5 times back in the 1990s Malpelo twice and 4-5 trips to Socorro. Bang for the buck
Socorro. All three locations are great, but they will cost you. Malpelo had the best shark action BUT the conditions can vary though I think the times to go has been worked out by now. Cocos is great for hammerheads and the Undersea boats are a class act. Socorro mantas and dolphins though you might see schools of hammerheads. If you only were going to go and money was not a factor, I would say Socorro.

Well, now you've encountered at least one person who answered with a resounding MAYBE. :) Though perhaps I'm just the exception that proves the rule.
I have been to Galapagos twice now. On both trips we saw all of the sought after creatures - whale sharks, hammerheads, dolphins, mola mola, iguanas, bat fish, etc. The first trip had pretty poor visibility, but we had a nice trip regardless and saw amazing things. Good value for money - Maybe. One the second trip we again saw all the cool animals, but the visibility was astoundingly good. Every dive site seemed 10 times bigger. We were blown away by how good the trip was. Good value for money - Excellent.

I've been to Socorro 3 or 4 times. The first time we had rotten 10-foot vis at the Boiler, but 100+ at Roca Partida. Subsequent trips have had consistently good to great visibility, good weather, and easy crossings.

My point is that you pays your money and you takes your chances. Repeat visits to the same location may result in wildly different experiences and perceptions. My first and only trip to Coco's was kind of like your Socorro visit. Worst vis they ever saw. Still a good trip despite vis so bad we could not safely dive for three days.

I would suggest that you take it on feedback from others that what you experienced at Socorro could possibly be dramatically better with another role of the dice.

The Boiler May 29, 2021 227-Edit-DeNoiseAI-clear.jpg

Hi!

Hope it's OK to reactivate this thread.
I also really want to go to Socorro, maybe next year or 2024. I just don't know what the best time would be.
Since I want to include traveling Mexico and spending like 2 Months there, I really need to plan what time is OK with everything.
Between March and May generally seems a good time to travel Mexico. But is it also best for Socorro? I read Mantas will be there all the time. The most important thing for me to see would be the dolphin pods. Although some sharks are nice too of course. Humpack whales would be awesome, but I assume even in season the chances to see them are extremely low during a dive.
I read somewhere that January to March is the best time for dolphins. Is this true or is there still a good chance from April to May to see them also?
Recommendations would be very appreciated, thank you!

Hi!

Hope it's OK to reactivate this thread.
I also really want to go to Socorro, maybe next year or 2024. I just don't know what the best time would be.
Since I want to include traveling Mexico and spending like 2 Months there, I really need to plan what time is OK with everything.
Between March and May generally seems a good time to travel Mexico. But is it also best for Socorro? I read Mantas will be there all the time. The most important thing for me to see would be the dolphin pods. Although some sharks are nice too of course. Humpack whales would be awesome, but I assume even in season the chances to see them are extremely low during a dive.
I read somewhere that January to March is the best time for dolphins. Is this true or is there still a good chance from April to May to see them also?
Recommendations would be very appreciated, thank you!

I saw more dolphins and more importantly better weather (especially if you are prone to get motion sickness) in January than in May. Check out my trip reports, below:

I've done trips to Socorro in every month of the season other than March and June. Like the mantas, they are there throughout the season, but there is no guarantee that they will show up, for how long, and how interactive they are.

With that said, as best as I can recall, I've seen dolphins on every trip I’ve done. Those sightings/encounters ranged from a brief, fleeting sighting (once in April and once in May) to hang-around and play-a-little encounters (most other trips), to hang around, play and be touched encounters (once in December). Therefore, as I see it, there is no better month or season for them, altho my best encounters with them have been on November and December trips.

Why those months? This is just speculation on my part - anthropomorphism (attributing human traits to non-humans), if you will. After all, dolphins are intelligent and capable of emotions: maybe because it is the start of the Socorro season, and after not seeing a diver for about 5 months, they get all giddy seeing these odd-looking bubble-making toys. But as the season wears on, maybe the novelty wears off and the divers become ho-hum.

You are going to spend two months in Mexico, with the Socorro trip representing only 10 days out of those 60 days. I think that in addition to trying to pick an optimum time for Socorro, you might want to also consider what else you want to do - whether on land or in-water - and whether there is a best time for those other activities or tours.

For example, if you are considering other diving activities, to me, November is a good time to combine Socorro with any or all of the following: Cabo Pulmo, La Paz and Magdalena Bay. I just did all of these. Even Cabo San Lucas and the corridor all the way to San Jose and Gorda Banks are good in November. The water is warm and viz is good. But if Cabo Pulmo, try to avoid weekends.

Lastly, if encounters with Bottlenose dolphins is what you are after, in recent years, I'd say that the encounters in Rangiroa in French Polynesia have arguably been as good or better than those in Socorro.

Another place to consistently see and play with dolphins - Spotted and Bottlenose - is Bimini in the Bahamas. This is best done by liveaboard - check out the Dolphin Dream.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom